Importing entities with GUIDS and lookup fields RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to import Accounts and Contact entities into CRM 4.0. I have already exported the Accounts and Contacts into separate files in Excel. Some updates have been made to the records in both entity groups. Now, I want to import both of these entities, in.csv format, back into CRM so that the records in CRM will be updated with the changes.

When I originally exported the records, I exported the GUIDs for both entities with hopes that upon import, I could match the changed records and current records in CRM on the GUID so that the records would update with the changed information. I'm not sure how to best accomplish a match on the GUID.

Also, I have fields in my entity groups that will require a lookup when imported. For example, I want to link contacts to their accounts and will need to use a lookup field at some point during the import process to do this.

I appreciate any ideas anyone has on how to import my data and have the Contacts and Accounts link.

Thanks!

Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:25 PM

Answers

• Lisa,

I think it would be wise to create a csv with only the records you want to update and only the columns you want to update.

eg: if you want to update only the phoneNumber then create a CSV with only the contactid's and the phonenumbers. If you don't match all the fields then they'll be overwritten by the values in the csv file > therefore remove those columns.

Also: be aware that the "Modified by" field will change to your user in CRM. It will be as if you changed the values through the web interface.

Hope this helps. Otherwise feel free to ask more explenation... I know quite a lot about the tool (i wrote it ;))
    Kaine
    Monday, March 23, 2009 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Lisa,

You should check out http://mscrmbulkupdatetool.codeplex.com/

I think this does what you need.

Greetz

Kaine
    • Proposed as answer by wdeconinck Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:42 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Kaine,

Thank you for the link. If I use the bulk update tool do you know if I need to match all of the fields before I import the data back into CRM? For example, would I need to match the address, phone number, GUID etc., fields of my .csv file with those in CRM before importing?

Thanks!
    Lisa
    Monday, March 23, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Lisa,

I think it would be wise to create a csv with only the records you want to update and only the columns you want to update.

eg: if you want to update only the phoneNumber then create a CSV with only the contactid's and the phonenumbers. If you don't match all the fields then they'll be overwritten by the values in the csv file > therefore remove those columns.

Also: be aware that the "Modified by" field will change to your user in CRM. It will be as if you changed the values through the web interface.

Hope this helps. Otherwise feel free to ask more explenation... I know quite a lot about the tool (i wrote it ;))
    Kaine
    Monday, March 23, 2009 2:10 PM
  • Kaine,

One more question...when you mention "contact IDs", is that the same as the unique identifier (GUID)? These unique IDs will allow the changed records to match up to the existing ones in CRM, correct?

Thanks!
    Lisa
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:10 PM