Defragment RRS feed

• Question

• Compared to the product Diskeeper, how does One Care's defragment compare in the area of speed?

Saturday, January 26, 2008 5:41 AM

Answers

• Pass.

The speed of a defragmenter depends on the work it has to do and the size of the disk (but then I suppose you know that.

I think diskeeper is quicker but then that's all it does. It doesn't do AV, spyware or backup. I suppose the answer is do you want one application or several?

Tom
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:36 PM

All replies

• What does "message field is manual" mean??

Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Pass.

The speed of a defragmenter depends on the work it has to do and the size of the disk (but then I suppose you know that.

I think diskeeper is quicker but then that's all it does. It doesn't do AV, spyware or backup. I suppose the answer is do you want one application or several?

Tom
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:36 PM
  • Thanks Tom,

At present I have PC Cillin + Diskeeper and another program from Iomega for backup and I was just wondering about the speed.  In the past the defrager that comes with Windows would take all night to defrag vs 5 minutes by Diskeeper.  But I was looking at the possibility of having it all in one program.  The backup of other computers on my network makes me want to have a look at it.  I can only backup my main computer with Iomega.  But you did answer my question.  If it would defrag in the background quietly I could live with that.

Chuck

Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:46 AM
  •  motomo43 wrote:

What does "message field is manual" mean??

I have no clue why that person has been posting throughout the forum with nonsense messages. I've been deleting them as I run across them.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:55 AM
  •  motomo43 wrote:

Compared to the product Diskeeper, how does One Care's defragment compare in the area of speed?

I cannot get my  defragment option to work.  Can anyone help me?

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:59 PM
  •  jhperkins44 wrote:
     motomo43 wrote:

Compared to the product Diskeeper, how does One Care's defragment compare in the area of speed?

I cannot get my  defragment option to work.  Can anyone help me?

Is defrag failing outright or is OneCare's tune-up report showing that it didn't complete? If it is the former, you probably have disk errors that need to be corrected. You'll need to repair the errors first.

If you are using XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

If you are using Vista -

Click Start  click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
      At a command prompt, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
    When CHKDSK is finished, restart the computer.

-steve

Friday, February 1, 2008 6:18 PM