none
Can I buy a Windows XP CD from some place or some one and make sure that he didn't copy the serial number RRS feed

• Question

• If some one or some place wants to buy me a Windows XP CD original with its key label on the package. Is there any chance for Fraud if I bought it. If , for example, Can he Copy the original serial and the CD and use them to register the windows and make mine unregistered ?

Is there any way to make sure that this copy of license is valid and no one used it before I buy it?
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:17 AM

Answers

• "MSaudi" wrote in message news:bd0d6821-a256-4e76-9672-03cbffb31085...

If some one or some place wants to buy me a Windows XP CD original with its key label on the package. Is there any chance for Fraud if I bought it. If , for example, Can he Copy the original serial and the CD and use them to register the windows and make mine unregistered ?

Is there any way to make sure that this copy of license is valid and no one used it before I buy it?

In legal packages the Key is not visible without breaking the seal.
    The ONLY place you can legally buy keys without accompanying disks is MS.
    The ONLY place you can legally download any version of Windows from, is MS - and its partner Digital River.

It's not possible to 'de-activate' any given machine. ALL machines using a Blocked License key will get a 'Not Genuine' message eventually, if they are connected to the internet.

No Windows disks are copy-protected - so don't worry about that aspect.

and no - you cannot check the validity of any given License Key, until it's installed in a machine (unless you manage to talk MS Support into checking for you, and that usually takes longer than an installation! <g>)

This is why it's so important to trust your vendor. If you're not 100% sure, don't buy from him. If prices seem too good to be true, they usually are.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Please Note: Windows XP is no longer being produced (except as pre-installed in some netbooks).  Some retailers and distributers may still have stock (but as time goes by, this becomes less and less likely). Be very careful when buying a copy of Windows XP and only buy from a well known Trusted Retailer.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:12 PM

All replies

• "MSaudi" wrote in message news:bd0d6821-a256-4e76-9672-03cbffb31085...

If some one or some place wants to buy me a Windows XP CD original with its key label on the package. Is there any chance for Fraud if I bought it. If , for example, Can he Copy the original serial and the CD and use them to register the windows and make mine unregistered ?

In legal packages the Key is not visible without breaking the seal.
    The ONLY place you can legally buy keys without accompanying disks is MS.
    The ONLY place you can legally download any version of Windows from, is MS - and its partner Digital River.

It's not possible to 'de-activate' any given machine. ALL machines using a Blocked License key will get a 'Not Genuine' message eventually, if they are connected to the internet.

No Windows disks are copy-protected - so don't worry about that aspect.

and no - you cannot check the validity of any given License Key, until it's installed in a machine (unless you manage to talk MS Support into checking for you, and that usually takes longer than an installation! <g>)

This is why it's so important to trust your vendor. If you're not 100% sure, don't buy from him. If prices seem too good to be true, they usually are.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Please Note: Windows XP is no longer being produced (except as pre-installed in some netbooks).  Some retailers and distributers may still have stock (but as time goes by, this becomes less and less likely). Be very careful when buying a copy of Windows XP and only buy from a well known Trusted Retailer.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:12 PM