Backup/restore SYS-disk? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I know I'm not supposed to use WHS to other than being WHS, but I can't resist using it as a HTPC and Virtual Server Host aswell. I like the idea of one server for everything!

Is there anything I should be aware of when doing the forbidden above, or could I treat it like any Windows Server 2003?

That said, is there anyway to backup the SYS drive? It's mostly my configuration I wish to save, not the actual data. I know PP1 comes with some additional server backup functions, will that cover what I'm looking for? Will I with the external backup be able to reinstall a exact copy of the entire server, if for example it would be stolen?

How are PC backups saved? Folder duplication on or off?

Thanks in advance,

Jonas

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:52 PM

Answers

• If you use Windows Home Server as intended, there's no real need to back up the system partition. In the event of a system drive failure, you'll have to recreate users, reinstall add-ins (and possibly reconfigure them) and reinstall additional software. Since all interaction with the server is intended to be through the shares, the console, or the remote access web site, there won't be a lot of software installed.

The specific uses you mention (virtual server, HTPC) are not supported uses. For the home theater portion of your question, the recommended configuration is a two box setup, with Windows Home Server supplying additional storage to a separate HTPC. For use as a Virtual Server host, if you can configure it, it should work but it is, as I said, unsupported.

PC backups are saved with duplication turned off, and there are some good reasons not to turn duplication on (there's a registry edit that would do this). The server backup is a backup of the shares, so you would have your files, but not PC backups.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:34 PM
  •  Jeinhor wrote:
    Thank you, I really appreciate your answers and the time you've spent writing them!

Are there any indications on a full server backup function coming in a future power pack? It would feel safe to have a off-site copy of everything, in case of a fire or theft. The external backup of shared folders is a great step in the right direction though, definitely makes the WHS more useful!

The ability to backup your client PC backup database was in early beta versions of PP1, but got pulled (too many bugs).  I would have to believe that if they can work out the kinks (and I believe that they will), they will release that sometime later.

As for the OS itself, there has been no mention of it (and, even if they are currently working on it, you won't here about it here due to the NDA that all of the employees/MVPs have to sign).

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:06 PM

All replies

• If you use Windows Home Server as intended, there's no real need to back up the system partition. In the event of a system drive failure, you'll have to recreate users, reinstall add-ins (and possibly reconfigure them) and reinstall additional software. Since all interaction with the server is intended to be through the shares, the console, or the remote access web site, there won't be a lot of software installed.

The specific uses you mention (virtual server, HTPC) are not supported uses. For the home theater portion of your question, the recommended configuration is a two box setup, with Windows Home Server supplying additional storage to a separate HTPC. For use as a Virtual Server host, if you can configure it, it should work but it is, as I said, unsupported.

PC backups are saved with duplication turned off, and there are some good reasons not to turn duplication on (there's a registry edit that would do this). The server backup is a backup of the shares, so you would have your files, but not PC backups.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Thank you, I really appreciate your answers and the time you've spent writing them!

Are there any indications on a full server backup function coming in a future power pack? It would feel safe to have a off-site copy of everything, in case of a fire or theft. The external backup of shared folders is a great step in the right direction though, definitely makes the WHS more useful!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:45 PM
  •  Jeinhor wrote:
    Thank you, I really appreciate your answers and the time you've spent writing them!

The ability to backup your client PC backup database was in early beta versions of PP1, but got pulled (too many bugs).  I would have to believe that if they can work out the kinks (and I believe that they will), they will release that sometime later.

As for the OS itself, there has been no mention of it (and, even if they are currently working on it, you won't here about it here due to the NDA that all of the employees/MVPs have to sign).

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:06 PM
  • Once again, thanks for the information!

I really hope they address these "issues" in the future, but with PP1 on I'm sure it will be a capable product! I really like the "storage pool" :-D

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:18 PM