Windows live onecare cannot start or is stopped. The troubleshoot steps wont work either RRS feed

• Question

• I tried the steps in http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=OneCareV2_5_Client&mkt=en-us&querytype=topic&query=OneCare_TROU_OneCare_Stopped.htm

However the services.msc does not start at all. I tried to run as administrator as well (I have Vista Ultimate). I tried uninstalling from appwiz.cpl, it does not do anything, however if I try to uninstall again, it says please wait till program is uninstalled or changed. However nothing happens for even 30 minutes...

Looks like I have a virus which went undetected by onecare... I cant delete any file, can't rename any folder in "open" dialog... neither can I run any administrative tools etc... can't start in safe mode as well...I have had onecare installed for over two years in more than one computer and this is my first problem to this extent.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 8:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• Please contact support for help with this issue. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Please contact support for help with this issue. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Jim, Thanks for your response. Just posting below for the use of others.

Microsoft was not very helpful on this issue.

I think they have NOT figured out the virus or the solution. After 4 days of sweet talk and passing the buck to other representatives and claims of having escalated to highest level and then informed of escalating to research team, one "senior" technician advised me to try to "restore" system using Vista OS Retail CD. I tried even that didnt work. The problem only got worse after the troubleshoot step to boot in safe mode caused something worse - after that any sort of boot would not work and would end up in a black blank screen. After another will call you in 10 minutes turned a day, I lost patience and have now reinstalled the OS and installed all software back again today afternoon. Hope that problem doesn't surface again.

My experience with MS: The representatives ability vary way too much - one is excellent in communication, one is impatient. None understood the seriousness from the customer point of view - if I have a laptop that is dead, I wont jump in joy if my follow up call is setup two days hence! Finally, one thing that I can not comprehend a company like MS to do is to promise to call in next 10-20 minutes and not show up... this did not happen just once, twice it happened.

They score a very bad 3/10.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Hello, L Sundar. Can you provide the case ID for your support case here or via email to me at sboots@mvps.org? If you email me, please put "OneCare" in the subject line and past this link:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/bd19a902-d3b3-4b4b-888c-1813d38f29f0#d9548d44-c057-4e2d-8eae-e52f372a9a53 which points to this thread.
    I would like to alert our contacts on Microsoft's support management team.

I'm sorry about the poor experience that you had. Sometimes it can be very difficult to determine what the cause of an issue is. I don't know if it was due to malware or some other issue, but the fact that you had the issues with call backs or impatient techs is unfortunate and I'd like for Microsoft to be made aware of that.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:53 PM
  • Hello, L Sundar. Can you provide the case ID for your support case here or via email to me at sboots@mvps.org ? If you email me, please put "OneCare" in the subject line and past this link:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/bd19a902-d3b3-4b4b-888c-1813d38f29f0#d9548d44-c057-4e2d-8eae-e52f372a9a53  which points to this thread.
    I would like to alert our contacts on Microsoft's support management team.

I'm sorry about the poor experience that you had. Sometimes it can be very difficult to determine what the cause of an issue is. I don't know if it was due to malware or some other issue, but the fact that you had the issues with call backs or impatient techs is unfortunate and I'd like for Microsoft to be made aware of that.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Steve - Someone from MS just called me and asked for the troubleshoot steps I took and passed me onto his manager for feedback.

The manager gave me a patient hearing. I can't verify whether it's implemented but appreciate the earnestness shown. One of the feedback is verifiable though, I would like anyone in this forum to comment if you see below feature in the chat window (used to chat with support associate):

Problem:
    Customer service representatives frequently need to take time to refer material once they understand what the problem is. Typically it is 3-5 minutes and sometimes it extends to 10 mins or more. The current chat window does not have any feature to get customer's attention if he wants to multi-task and not sit idle staring at the chat window and waiting for the chat associate to respond any minute. many a times chat representative can think that the customer has gone offline and close the window. [Although in my case this never happened as I chose to keep staring at the chat window, since the issue was that critical to me ;)]

Features suggested as solution:

Ability for chat associate to "ping" the customer with a sound from the chat window - just like yahoo chat.
    The header of the window should be dynamic rather than stale as it is now, so if the customer wanders to another window he can keep an eye in the task bar item for this chat and know the associate has typed something rather than have to come back to the window to check if the associate has typed something.

Unlike the other items that have limitations, perhaps due to cost constraints and the nature of change required, like 24X7 support in different geographies, able support personnel, cultural changes with support personnel etc, this one is very tactical and would involve a relatively simple upgrade to chat software. Let us see if MS 'acts' on feedback.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Thanks for the follow-up and I'm glad to read that support management got back to you.
    -steve
    Monday, August 31, 2009 12:00 PM