Network Password Issue WHS and W7..HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Ok  I will try not to vent too much. I have had my Acer H340, which uses WHS for over a year. I work on it for a while then drop it. I gbought it so I can have more Hard drive space...and I am sick of using many small drives and need it now.  Very annoying that MS  ...anyways  i wont rant I just want it working. I have installed and reinstalled WHS many times. I have been on numerous differant forums, where yes I did check that the clocks are all the same, and I upgrades to W7 primieum 64 bit just so I could LAN manager authentication level setting..it was set to Send NTLM response only. I am at whits end. Thanks to MS I have another expensive  piece of E junk that dosnt work.

I can log into the WHS console no problem with the WHS logon name and password, and itI with the does run the back up. But I can not access the hard drives for storage.

If I go Start/computer/network/aspirehome(name of useless WHS) a Windows Security box appears.

Enter your Network Password

Enter your password to connect to: ASPIREHOME

it then has two account options to select. The first option is the name of my PC\WHS like this:

MARKUS-PC\ASPIREHOME

Underneath  is the space to place the password.

Underneath this one is an option for selecting "Use another account"

I cannot log in!!! Not sure what else to do other than just give up on it altogeather. WHS seems to have a number of cool features, but useless if you cand get it going. I cant believe that MS help wants $69 for a telephone consultation, considering its Their software thats not working. Can anyone help me on this..ps i tried Acer...but they say its  a MS issue!!!!!!!

Markus

Sunday, January 23, 2011 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Markus,

From what you describe I would say that you problems are most likely cause by a network or router configuration problem, not WHS.

Assuming you log on to your W7 Desktop with username {yourusername} and password {yourpassword}:
    1. You log in to the WHS console using the administrative password {yourwhsadminpassword} for your WHS
    2. TAB User Accounts: you defined a user with username {yourusername} and password {yourpassword}
    3. TAB Shared folders: The user defined at (2) has at least read access to the share you want to access (click its properties)

4. Reboot the server
    5. Reboot the W7 client and login using username {yourusername} and password {yourpassword}

Try accessing the shares by richt clicking the WHS console icon, option Shared Folders or by double-ckicking the "Shared Folders" icon on your desktop.
    If this fails work:

• Checkout the Windows 7 "Network and Sharing Center". Verify that your network is configured as a "Home Network"?
    • Can you "ping" your server by its name?
    • Can you "ping" your server by its local IP-adress (most likely 192.168.1.xxx)?
    • Using Windows Explorer, can you access the WHS shares through \\{serveipaddres} (e.g. \\192.168.1.xxx)?

- Theo. 

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Hi Theo,

Thanks for your information. Dont ask me how or why..but I read on another post that I might not have my guest enabled in the WHS console. Sure enought when I went to the console the "guest" was not active. When I enabled the guest I was able to log in.

This has lead to another problem. Trying to use my storage device. When I go onto Computer/network I can see my computer as well as my storage device. I open my storage device and my shared files are shown. Now I want to cut/paste or move files from my computer to one of the shared files and I get "destination Folder Access Denied" "You need permission to perform this action" How do I move folders into one of theshared folders

I would also like to move some files to my own account on my device. So I select the name of my PC (MARKUS-PC) under "Network"  and not much happens. The panel to the right is empty. I right click on it and the option to paste dosent work. If I try and drag/drop a file into here I get the not allowed icon (red circle with red line throught it.)

Getting closer to finally being able to use it I think!. Any ideas?

Markus

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:54 AM
  • Hi Markus,

the guest account should remain disabled usually. (While we are at this, guest has no write permissions, this explains, what you see here).

Connectivity issues rejecting passwords as described often happen, if the system time, system date or time zone of the client PC and the WHS do not match.

So check these, especially on the server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Thanks Olaf for the information. I did read somewhere on this forum that enabling the guest might make things work. Now as per my above post I just have to get the other thing worked out....any ideas?
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:16 AM
  • In the Windows Home Server console you can easy check the time settings in Settings on the General tab.

If you click Change there, you can check all the items mentioned.

On the client you simply click the clock symbol in the task tray or  use Date and Time in Control Panel.

Olaf

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Thanks Olaf. My problem now is using and accesing the files. When I go onto Computer/network I can see my computer as well as my storage device. I open my storage device and my shared files are shown. Now I want to cut/paste or move files from my computer to one of the shared files and I get "destination Folder Access Denied" "You need permission to perform this action" How do I move folders into one of the shared folders

I would also like to move some files to my own account on my device. So I select the name of my PC (MARKUS-PC) under "Network"  and not much happens. The panel to the right is empty. I right click on it and the option to paste dosent work. If I try and drag/drop a file into here I get the not allowed icon (red circle with red line throught it.)

Basicly what I would like to be able to do is move files around much as I would with my PC.

Thanks

Markus

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:50 PM
  • Thanks Olaf. My problem now is using and accesing the files. When I go onto Computer/network I can see my computer as well as my storage device. I open my storage device and my shared files are shown. Now I want to cut/paste or move files from my computer to one of the shared files and I get "destination Folder Access Denied" "You need permission to perform this action" How do I move folders into one of the shared folders  

Hello Markus,

From what I read your problem is still the same: the account (username+password) you use to log-in to your PC does not have read/write access to the SERVER shared folders. You did enable the guest account with the result that *any* acount can now "see" the sahred folders. But that did not anable read and/or write access for your account.
    It's best to keep the "guest" account disabled (default setting) as Olaf suggested.

From the console, did you check the TAB's "User Accounts" and/or "Shared Folders" as suggested in my previous post?
    Did you check the time and timezone settings for your PC en SERVER as Olaf suggested?

With network shared folder access configured properly for your account you "should" be able to copy/paste files between your servers shared folders and for instance your PC's local "My Documents" folder.

- Theo.

PS - For more details on user accounts and shared folders please also read the WHS online manual, accessible from the consle ("Help")?

No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Hello Theo,

Thanks so much for the information. I have now disabled the guest feature. I did check the settings as above and they where all fine.  I now can acccess my shared folders both via opening a browser and via start/computer/network. But, I can not access my user account either via the browser or via start/computer/network. When I try to the option to paste is light grey and non selectable and if I try and drag something it will not allow it ...red circle with line throught it

Regards,

Markus

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:15 PM
  • I spoke too soon. after I disabled my guest I cannot access my shared files anymore

Markus

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Hi Markus,

did you reboot your computer? Your user account on the PC has a password for login? This password matches the password of the user on the server?

Did you at any time in the past rename the user account, so that the shown display name of the user does no longer match the real user name?

If you type control keymgr.dll in the Start/Run dialog, are there any stored credentials to access the server? If so, delete them.

What happens, if you create a new user account on your PC and a matching account on the server, make the passwords identical and login with that user on the client?

Olaf

Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Thanks for all your help...not sure how but after some  more playing around with it started to work..now the second problem. .. I have posted elesewher on here...but here it is for you as you have been helpfull with the above

I have tried to add 2 other computer as users. I added them using the WHS console, ensuring the logon name is the same as on the relivant PC. When I try open the relivant user file or shared files it askesd me for a username adn password..

.Also, does the Logon name have to match/be the same as  the User Account of the PC. On one of my computers the user name is "MARKUS" yet the logon name that appears on the WHS console is ACER-61A45968D3. When I try and change the name in the  properties section of the console it wont let me. The other computer I recently change the user name and when I noticed that on the WHS console it was using the orginal name under logon i changed the PC's user name back to the origial, so it now matches..but when i try and open the user file on both these other PC's it askes me....Connecting to ASPIREHOME username and password...but having said that the back ups work fine on all 3 PC's

Would it be easiest to somehow start over and reinstall the other two computer onto the server. All i have so far are one backup of each one and no other data saved  from them. If i did how would I go about it.

Thanks again

Markus

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:03 AM
  • Been doing some more playing around.. under User accounts I have reenabled the Guest and have allowed the other useres access to all computers and all shared folders and under Shared Folders I have also selected all users to have access to all folders and I can now access all folders from all computer....which I dont want! Im close to having it all swet up!!

Markus

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:36 AM
  • Hi Markus,

if you enable the guest account, all users are treated as "guest".

Especially if authentication fails (either because of a different user name - a simple method to see, if the user names are matching, would be to look into the C:\users or c:\Documents and Settings folder on the client) or due to a time mismatch of more than a very few minutes.

What happens, if you create a new user account on one of the clients, the same on the server (with matching passwords) and logon on the client (in this sequence). Can this new user access the user directory?

Which kind of security suite did you install on the clients?

Olaf

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Thanks again for your help. Frustrated I just allowed all computers to have all access to all files and now I can access almost all computers. And yes I still have the guest account enabled. My idea of course would be to have all computers access to the shared files and too limit access of the User files to the particluar user computer...geez did that make sense...Computer A access to all shared files but computer A user files only able to be  accessed by computer A.

Also now as set up above there is no password issue anymore. I made sure once again that all User names where the same as appearing under Logon Names on the WHS console.

So would I be correct then in saying that, if I disable the guest account, and for User A in the WHS/User Accounts/Properties/Shared Folder access and selected "none" to access User B that A would not be able to access User B shared folders.

I use McAfee on my 3 PC's and could not get it going on WHS so I purchased Avasti....which is not quite working. When I select the Icon on the WHS console all the computers and WHS are listed but are light grey font..ie there but not selectable..Will have to send them an email.

I have also just recently added another drive a couple of days ago. Was easy to install using the wizard in the WHS console. I have noticed that the disc is not being used much. dispite having done a number of backups and file transfers. Does it take a litetle bit of time for the system to allocate space with all discs. Along the same topic, the original disc that came with the unit and has the OS on it, has not been used for the storage pool. Is this normal for the master disc Aso the master disc is smaller in capacity than the others. Nevertheless it  is included in the total size calculation. Is there a way I can utilize the capacity of the master disc?

Thanks again

Markus

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:44 AM