Problems after a hard drive crash, back up recover seemed to work fine but server now can only update wth whs 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

This is what has happened. im running a ixtrene with 16 memory and 3 x 2t western digital drives.

each drive was partitioned to make 6 drives i.e. c, d, e, f, g, h. boot and 2011 installed on C: data stored on drive D:.

drives g:, h:,  used by dashboard as dedicated back up drives and shadow copy.

Drive C: crashed and died, this was replaced with a new 2t western digital drive the client computer restore disk was used this is when my real problems started.

The process of trying to restore my back ups repeatedly failed and crashed for 8 hours, when it finally worked and I was able to load a back up file to the time and date that I wanted it would only restore drive C: I repeatedly tried to reinstate D: but the restore system would or could not do it. the result 20 years of work and data lost, most of which is irreplaceable.

once the process started I could not stop it drive C: was restored drive D: was wiped and formatted ???? drive D: now empty of data. after rebooting whs 2011 started its update service and proceeded to inform me that it has found 47 high priority ad urgent update for whs 2008 ????.

I have never owned or installed whs 2008. after the updates my system is bugged. im the sole admin for this server but many of my admin tasks cannot be used as I get error messages telling me that the admin has turned them off i.e. I can no longer use regedit, error says cannot be used as administrator has turned the facility off ??.

no support from windows found days of following looped links gets me no were.... what the hell has happened ???.

regards Alan110

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:01 AM

Answers

• What you refer to as WHS2008 is in fact Server 2008 R2 on which WHS2011 is based. There is no WHS2008. And you need indeed the updates for Server 2008 R2 to be installed.

Luc.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, December 27, 2013 9:50 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:24 PM