Slow backups? RRS feed

• Question

•  

How long should a backup take?  I'm trying to backup an XP SP2 box.  I've specified only two drives with a total of about 55GB.  Now I expected it to take a little extra time in an effort to not impact my performace too much.  But it started at 11:59PM on 02.18.07 and it is now 9:57PM on 02.20.07 and it is only 47% finished.  So almost 2 full days and less than 50%?

Any thoughts?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:04 AM

Answers

• It should not take that long.  Either this is a bug or there is some faulty hardware somewhere slowing things down.

Try troubleshooting your physical network, swapping cables, power cycling your switch, and even rebooting your Windows Home Server.

Friday, February 23, 2007 12:23 AM

All replies

• I don't think a backup should take that long. I had a complete backup take about an hour that was transferring about 10 gigs. You may want to check your network speed make sure you are getting 100 mbps. Do you have anything else installed on the WHS that is consuming bandwidth? Check your ping times see if those are un usually high. If you are still having trouble file a bug report and see what the team's response is.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:09 AM
  • I've had this with external USB 1.1 drives ... impossibly slow.

Internal Drives were slower than say a Vista backup but not -too- bad although you wouldn't want to be trying to run any foreground apps during the backup.

I think there is still work to be done here.

---
    Henry C.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:16 AM
  • Was this on a wireless connection or wired?  Was this a laptop or desktop?
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:27 PM
  • ...it's still going.... up to about 89% now.

It's not wireless or a laptop.  My WHS is as follows:

Compaq SR1142NX
    AMD 2800 (2.08GHz)
    512MB RAM
    120GB IDE HD
    100MB connection
    This box is only WHS and nothing else. 

My client is:

"custom"
    P4 2.0GHz
    2GB RAM
    2x 40GB HD
    100MB connection
    This is my main PC, so it has all kinds of stuff on it.  Not the best "test" system.

They are both connected to the same linksys 5 port switch.  I'll be adding a couple more clients as soon as this one finishes.. :-)  Then I'll be able to compare and I'll post the results.

By the way, I have copied music and photos to the WHS using the web interface and the Windows share.  Both of these methods work as expected.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 2:23 AM
  • It should not take that long.  Either this is a bug or there is some faulty hardware somewhere slowing things down.

Try troubleshooting your physical network, swapping cables, power cycling your switch, and even rebooting your Windows Home Server.

Friday, February 23, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Was this issue resolved?  I am experiencing similar issue.  24 hrs to back up 35% of a 150 gb home pc.  All connections wired.

1 GB RAM

1.35 GHz

i am running 1 IDE drive 180 GB and 3 - 320 GB HDD on a  Highpoint 1740 Raid card configured as single 960 GB space

Seems to be taking an excessive amount of time for both backups and file transfers.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:45 AM
  •  
    richrugby said:

Was this issue resolved?  I am experiencing similar issue.  24 hrs to back up 35% of a 150 gb home pc.  All connections wired.

150 GByte is a lot - so the question is more what kind of wired connection do you have? Gigabit network or Fast Ethernet? Which speed is really used on server side?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:33 AM