none
Forum "Top Answerers" sorts by total answers not "in forum" answers RRS feed

• Question

• At least thats what it seems to do. If you view source on the page all the data is there. Here is the list in the exact order that it is in the SharePoint Design and Customiztion Forum, note the descending total answers number:

"Paul Galvin",                "Points":7931,"Answers":388,"Posts":2055,"Stars":4,
    "Mike Walsh MVP",        "Points":6955,"Answers":279,"Posts":2104,"Stars":3
    "Ivan Bondy",               "Points":2721,"Answers":174,"Posts":422,"Stars":3
    "Waldek Mastykarz",    "Points":2564,"Answers":147,"Posts":546,"Stars":3
    "Sundar Narasiman",    "Points":2318,"Answers":129,"Posts":525,"Stars":3
    "John D. Ross",             "Points":2180,"Answers":96,"Posts":619,"Stars":3
    "Stefan Keir Gordon",   "Points":1348,"Answers":86,"Posts":264,"Stars":2
    "Randy Drisgill",            "Points":1432,"Answers":79,"Posts":325,"Stars":2
    "Amit V",                       "Points":934,  "Answers":61,"Posts":179,"Stars":2
    "Eric Sammann",           "Points":948,  "Answers":50,"Posts":316,"Stars":2 

Those answers are total, not per forum, yet thats how it is sorting.
    Randy Drisgill | The Mossman Blog | SharePoint Branding Services
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• That doesn't happen in the Expression Forums... weird
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 4:53 PM
  •  Interesting. While I know for sure that the list is filtered by users that have answers in the forum, I wonder if it is in fact taking their answer TOTAL into account for ordering. I'll take a quick look tomorrow.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, August 11, 2008 5:14 AM
  • Matt, that's what I suspect is happening. Something first checks to makes sure who should be in the top answers list for the forum, but then its sorting on total answers. Either that or total answers and forum answers just happens to be exactly the same ratio in this forum... which seems unlikely.
    Randy Drisgill | The Mossman Blog | SharePoint Branding Services
    Monday, August 11, 2008 5:37 AM
  • Thanks for reporting.  As Matt indicates, the team will be investigating this issue and we will report back once reviewed.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Monday, August 11, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Yup, it's ordered by total answers. Alicia, could you bug this so we can triage?

Thanks
    Monday, August 11, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Yep, thanks Matt.  I'll take care of this one.
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 12:47 AM
  • Seems to be still the case.
    As soon as a person has one single answer in the forum within 30 days, his total count seems to determine the position instead of the forums posting count.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf Engelke
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 1:43 PM
  • Is there any word on the fix for this?

I have noticed the same thing in the SharePoint forumns. It is not just a simple sorting issues. Sometimes people that use to be real active and might have a lot of old answers are just answering something once and are pushing people off the top answers list who are contributing more lately.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:27 PM
  • >people that use to be real active and might have a lot of old answers are just answering >something once and are pushing people off the top answers list who are contributing more lately

So what's wrong with that :)

>I have noticed the same thing in the SharePoint forumns

The thread started off with the list from the SharePoint forums.

By a strange coincidence (!?) the list today would look just the same.

So, No, they haven't fixed it, yet.

But I'd prefer they'd spend time fixing the speed rather than these nice-to-haves. The forums have recently virtually grinded to a halt at some times of the day. Click reply; write reply; click submit WAIT (a long time).

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:15 PM
  • 1. You ask what is wrong with people that just answer one question in past few months being on the top answers list. I am surprised you ask that question. All that does is keep newer people from helping. The top answer list is a great tool to keep people involved in the forumns. All this does is discourage new people from getting involved. If there are people with 3 and 4 stars that just stay on the list forever (regardless if they are helping much recently), it doesn't show the people with 1 or 2 stars. That could discourage the people with 1 or 2 stars from getting even more involved. I have 3 stars so I am not affected that much from this bug, but there are people out there that are really helping out with lower stars and they are not getting the recognition they deserve.

2. I understand the thread started from the SharePoint forumn. I didn't respond to the start of the thread. I started right under Olaf Engelke's thread who I don't think is part of the SharePoint forumns. And, all I was trying to do was re-iterate where I was seeing this again. I don't think this is something even worth you pointing out.

3. Yes, performance is an issue in the forumns. Recognition is an issue also. The difference is, performance was an issue in the last version of the forumn also. Recognition seems to be an issue they created when they moved to the newer forumn. Regardless, I think it is valid to ask when something is being fixed when they mentioned they would look into it in the response in early August. All I was looking for was an idea of when it would be fixed. I might respond to a thread about performance too. I assume Microsoft can have multiple people working on both issues.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:29 PM
  • Hi Greg,
    I fully agree with your points.
    At least the speed seems to have improved since last weeks (?) upgrade, which also got rid of that tag list on the forum screen.
    My main forums are the Windows Home Server forums, and this is the place, where I found this issue lately.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:01 PM
  • We have not lost track of this issue. In fact. there's a fair amount of discussion and planning going on at the moment around recognition.

That being said, the quick answer is that this is not likely to be addressed in the very near term as the focus of work right now is wrapping up our forthcoming release. Said release being centered around back end scalability and performance.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:24 AM
  • > 1. You ask what is wrong with people that just answer one question in past few months being on >the top answers list

You are either totally lacking in the sense of humour department or you didn't see the smiley !!

I was second on the list in the first post in this thread and I am still second, so (in fun) it's a good thing that I only have to write one post to be still in second place, isn't it ?

Surely you didn't think I was being serious.

I did after all, say later that the problem was still there.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:00 AM grammar
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:58 AM
  • Sorry Mike. I did think you were being serious. It is hard to tell with these posts sometimes (i.e.: sometimes people cover up serious comments with smiley faces so they don't come off as harsh as they seem). Anyways, I thought your reply might hinder a Microsoft rep from replying. I should have saw that it was a joke (and when I read it back it is obvious) and I should have realized a Microsoft rep would see it was a joke too.
    No hard feelings. Just trying to get to the answer which was sufficiently answreed by Rob J.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:05 PM
  • No problem. We all do it.

Maybe I should go over to <wide grin> :) 

Mike

P.S.

Rob: "Said release being centered around back end scalability and performance."

Good !

(Even more days at second <wide grin>)
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Alright, so this looks "fixed" in the new version, but is the "Top Answerers" now everyone excluding the MVPs?  I really enjoyed seeing the MVP's on this list, seeing how I'm "stacking up", etc.  My guess is that since there's a whole separate list for MVPs, they're not included in the "Top Answerers" list. 

Come on guys, we're programmers.  We like numbers and metrics and statistics.  The more of them, the better.
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:18 PM
  • it shouldn't be. I'll take a quick look at it...
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:10 PM
  • MVP's should be included in the Top Answerers list. This will be fixed in the next round of updates.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Hi Rob,
    besides that, I am under the impression, that the system counts still wrong.
    At least I see a name in the MVP answerers group in the WHS Software Forum, which has not been in the answerers list before, but some threads, in which he posted half a year ago and been marked as answerer, have been resurrected by other people.
    So the 30 days selector seems to act wrong by counting the last posting date of a thread instead of the last posting of that answerer in the thread.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:22 PM
  • That doesn't surprise me. There are still lots of problems with the "last person to post to a forum" including that post not being in that forum at all.

Mike Walsh

(wondering if my post to comments/suggestions about MVPs being dropped from the Top Answerers list came before David Morton's similar post here or afterwards :) )

Later: wondering no more. I beat him by almost an hour ...

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:36 PM Later added
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:34 PM
  • Olaf, you are correct that there are some issues with the 30 days. I'll go over some ideas that we can implement that'll at least get closer to the ideal. I don't think we'd have time this release to do the optimal version, because that would require either some kind of daily/batch process to calculate over a specific timebox or do it on the fly which would likely be too expensive.

Thanks!
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:22 PM
  • Mike, the "Last Reply" issue should be fixed with the current release. If you are still seeing this occur, let me know where (and steps that led to it if you have them).

Thanks!
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:24 PM
  • Typically it was when a thread was moved to another forum.

You'll have to wait for a Yes/No on this having changed for when I need to do this again :)

Later: Yes, when a thread is moved to a different forum it now correctly updates the latest post listing in the forum it has been moved to.

I'll have to forget that "error" then ...
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:11 AM Later added
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:43 AM