Number of Security Roles RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning Team,

What will be the impact on version upgrade for the # of customized security roles on CRM?

For e.g if we have # of customized security roles much higher than OOTB security and we would like to upgrade from CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011 in new year. What precausion we need to take? Is it going to be hard to migrate the version if we have lots of customizations?

Thanks for your help in advance

Monday, November 8, 2010 3:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Your security roles will be migrated to CRM 2011 during the upgrade process.
    MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Check out the CRM 4 to CRM 2011 JavaScript Converter Tool
    CRM Forum Guidance on how to Help Us Help You
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Sunday, November 14, 2010 2:13 AM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Thanks for the response

In other words there is no impact on the # of customized security roles, correct?

Monday, November 8, 2010 3:58 PM
  • In my experience, organisations that have a large number of custom security roles also have a large number of unsupported customisations such as hiding/showing fields, buttons, sections and tabs based on a user's security roles. So depending upon what you've used all those security roles for, there may be implications for your custom code.

If you've got a complex security configuration which includes lots of business units, security roles and teams then you might also have made extensive use of the sharing feature. This can create a huge number of entries in the PrincipalObjectAccess table which affects everyday performance and might affect the time it takes to perform the upgrade (maybe an extra hour or two for a PoA table with more than a million rows? I'm guessing).

If you're planning to upgrade to CRM 2011 in the next six months, now is the time to deploy CRM 2011 beta and test the upgrade process using a backup of your current CRM 4.0 system.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Monday, November 8, 2010 4:10 PM
  • if you have # security roles in CRM 4 then you will have # roles in CRM 2011.
    MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Check out the CRM 4 to CRM 2011 JavaScript Converter Tool
    CRM Forum Guidance on how to Help Us Help You
    Monday, November 8, 2010 4:11 PM
  • thank you Rhett and Neil

we do not have too much customiations, we have more roles just for the security reason blocking access and adding additional access

I am hoping it will not cause many issues during upgrade

Monday, November 8, 2010 5:06 PM