Almost a Customer of yours RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently running under the Trial Version, and while $49.95 isn't a bad offer.. today I saw the price of $29.95 listed.. (and printed it out) on your homepage... Tonight, a mere six hours later.. the price is back up to $49.95.    I was all set to move money.. when suddenly!.. I saw the oldest scam on the planet, the old 'bait and switch'..

Please, email me when the price drops again - in these hard economic times.. playing games with the price just doesn't make your product 'look' that desireable.. If you'll sell it for $29.95 today.. why not tomorrow?.. and the next day, and the next..

BTW: how GOOD is your Anti-Virus scan?

Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:04 PM

Answers

• You can pick up OneCare at retail for much less that the list price charged for an online purchase from Microsoft. The special offer for 29.95 appears to be something that happens via OneCare when it is in trial mode and the link you are presented with at that time needs to be acted on then or you don't get it again. Going to the http://onecare.live.com site will net you the full retail subscription if you don't follow the offer from within the OneCare dialog.
    Note that Amazon has OneCare for 19.99 plus shipping. You only need the retail PIN/Key inside the box to activate/subscribe from an installed trial copy - no need to reinstall.

As for your final question - the protection is good. No protection suite is perfect and you can see many reports of missed infections or incomplete removals in the virus and spyware topic folder here, but I can tell you that I personally run OneCare on many machines. My wife's PC was recently infected despite OneCare's protection, but that is one incident in almost 2 years on her machine. I consider that to be quite good.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, December 12, 2008 2:09 PM