Port Forwarding and IP Lease Time RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to search the forum for this specific issue and apologize if it was already asked.

I own a HP MediaSmart Server EX485 connected to a Linksys WRT160N
    Once I got the server, I manually forwarded the ports and connecting to the server via internet was no problem.  A little while back, we had lost our telecommunications (Cox) services for a few hours.  Since then, I have had no luck with port forwarding.  The server is accessing via home network with no problem.  I noticed though that when I reset the router, the server appears with the correct assigned IP address in the DHCP table with the correct lease time.  When I go to the server to verify the remote access, the lease time is cut to 60 seconds.  Then the server drops off the DHCP table.  Although I am able to connect to it still via home network.
    I am in process to checking with linksys to see if it is a router problem but thought I could burn the candel in both ends to see if maybe it is a server issue instead.

Thoughts?  Any other information needed from me to help?

David
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:16 PM

Answers

• I have tried to search the forum for this specific issue and apologize if it was already asked.

Once I got the server, I manually forwarded the ports and connecting to the server via internet was no problem.  A little while back, we had lost our telecommunications (Cox) services for a few hours.  Since then, I have had no luck with port forwarding.  The server is accessing via home network with no problem.  I noticed though that when I reset the router, the server appears with the correct assigned IP address in the DHCP table with the correct lease time.  When I go to the server to verify the remote access, the lease time is cut to 60 seconds.  Then the server drops off the DHCP table.  Although I am able to connect to it still via home network.
    I am in process to checking with linksys to see if it is a router problem but thought I could burn the candel in both ends to see if maybe it is a server issue instead.

David
    It sounds like a router issue to me as well.  You might try resetting the router (holding down the reset button) if you haven't done that already.  You might also try to find updated firmware for it.  Otherwise, I think you will probably need to invest in a new router.
    • Marked as answer by DMarkowski Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:36 PM
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 7:03 PM

All replies

David
    It sounds like a router issue to me as well.  You might try resetting the router (holding down the reset button) if you haven't done that already.  You might also try to find updated firmware for it.  Otherwise, I think you will probably need to invest in a new router.
    • Marked as answer by DMarkowski Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:36 PM
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 7:03 PM
  • Kariya21,

Thank you for answering.  I have both hard and soft reset the router.  I am not for certain that the lease time was happening when it was working.  But it does appear that it is a router issue as well.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:35 PM