Repair required RRS feed

• Question

• I have two WHS Servers.  One is on a custom machine, the other on a Dell E521, 2GB, standard configuration nothing weird in it.  Both machines have brand new Samsung 1TB HD103UI Ecogreen drives.

The custom machine never requires a repair on the disk.  The clients on this machine are elsewhere.

The Dell requires a repair on the disk every week or so.  The clients for this machine are on site.

The error message is this:

"Storage Status"
    Volume with name SYS is failing.  Please try to run repair to fix errors for disk.

Running repair from within the WHS server application and rebooting the server gets rid of this message for about a week.

There are no power failures or anything like that.  I'm not doing anything weird with this server at all, just leaving it alone but I still get this message.  No software other than WHS runs on this machine and I don't even RDP to it.

Is there anything else I can do (I guess run chkdsk /f) for this machine?  If chkdsk /f doesn't do anything, what would be the next step?  (Replace the drive?  Replace the machine?  Replace the building that the clients and server reside in?)

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Alex,
    I have seen this message recently myself, but on a Virtual machine. Run that requested repair and all looked fine again.
    I could imagine, that the WHS component in charge for checking the disk health is a bit sensitive when it comes to timing. So if the disk is not responding in the expected time (maybe after wakeup from hibernate or with some changed power save settings) this could be a reason for (in this case) false alerts. Since I don't know the triggers for this stuff, this can only be speculative, maybe somebody at the Microsoft WHS team has a better answer.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:36 AM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 7:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Alex,
    I have seen this message recently myself, but on a Virtual machine. Run that requested repair and all looked fine again.
    I could imagine, that the WHS component in charge for checking the disk health is a bit sensitive when it comes to timing. So if the disk is not responding in the expected time (maybe after wakeup from hibernate or with some changed power save settings) this could be a reason for (in this case) false alerts. Since I don't know the triggers for this stuff, this can only be speculative, maybe somebody at the Microsoft WHS team has a better answer.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:36 AM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Hi Olaf.

I run the repair but it comes back.  I ran chkdsk /f the last time, we'll see if it comes back again.

I'm not sure what checking the disk health does either.  I wouldn't think that they'd do something bizarre and different than whatever chkdsk does to determine if a disk is OK, but who knows.  This repair notification is coming up for the SYS volume.  Wouldn't think that much writing would be going on on the SYS volume, other than possibly in the temp directory, but again - who knows.

Not counting on a response from the "team" if the "team" is having cutbacks in the new year.  I wonder if this is the last version of WHS that we'll see in the marketplace.

Anyway thanks for your response and happy holidays.
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:36 AM
  • Well this machine now boots to a blue screen which says that the registry can't be read.

That's not too good.

Doing a server reinstall now.

Never had this happen before on any version of Windows 2000 or 2003 server.  Maybe I should put in a different hard drive.

Friday, December 26, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Hi Alex,
    if the registry of a Windows server or client system could not be read, this had usually one of two causes in my experiences:
    • damaged sectors on harddisk or rarely file system corruption issues after a hard system crash
    • issues with faulty or incompatible memory modules.
    So the warning was not out of the nowhere for your system it seems.
    Olaf
    Friday, December 26, 2008 7:06 PM
  • Olaf

Thanks for your reply.

It could be the memory module.  I didn't really check to make sure it was compatible with this machine.  Will do that or maybe swap it with something else.

The reinstall went fine no problem.

Again thanks for your help.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 12:03 AM