none
Incorrect Display RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

When i search against my name under browse users, it gets displayed, but under Answered option its showing wrong entry as ( 3) , but i answered more than that and successfully tagged by users as answered.

please help 
    sainath Windows Driver Development
    Monday, January 5, 2009 11:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Antoher important observation is ,

suppose you respond to the customer question , which is the answer,

but customer mark his comment as answer , which is not accounting against my name

what to do in these situations ?

please check the below link 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverPN/thread/e16b05f1-b5b2-4dc8-995e-3b47b4a09ea3

here i have answered his question , but he marked his reply as answer, eventually i would not be credited

this happened couple of posts of mine.

Monday, January 5, 2009 12:24 PM
  • Your first issue should be addressed some time soon.  The last forums migration didn't go well; it couldn't be fixed due to the holiday lockdown.  Your first approach to incorrect answer marking is to post to the thread and point out the mistake.  If that doesn't work out, you'll need a moderator to make the correction.  
    Hans Passant.
    Monday, January 5, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Sainath:

Your second problem has to do with the fact that Marking as Answer has a dual purpose:

1. To indicate that the issue is resolved

2. To give credit to responders

IMO, the first purpose should be a property of the thread, not of an individual post, and the second would be better served by Vote as Helpful, a feature that is almost unused at present, despite a recent increase in its visibility in the interface.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, January 5, 2009 2:23 PM
  • hi all,

thanks for the inputs,

but the question is when you initiate the thread, you have an option mark as answer, with this , customers who has opened the thread always mark thier last reply ( which gets resolved using one of our troubleshooting steps ) as answer.

which will eventually make us feel sad, because we take lot of time to analyze their post, provide them the appropriate troubleshooting step, and our hard work is going vien.

how should i update to moderator about my problems
    ?

please suggest
    Monday, January 5, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Sainath:

Yes, I understand. In fact I do not like self-mark as answer either, though it is not nearly as bad as self-propose as answer, which is just plain nuts, IMHO.

The problem is that in the present system there can be a valid use of self mark as answer, when the OP has solved the problem for himself/herself without significant contribution from responders (if any). However, very often what you say is true; one or more responders deserve credit, but the OP paraphrases their contribution and marks his/her own post as answer.

As I indicated above, I would prefer a system where

1. Mark as answered is applied to the question/thread, not to an individual response (or responses).

2. Credit is given by voting as helpful.

But I doubt this is going to be changed...

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, January 5, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Thanks dave ,

for your time in responding and understanding my concern.

Question is , when MS / Technet evaluates for MVP , does they see my contribution or number of answers under my name ?

and how to bring these items to moderators ?
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:58 AM
  • This has been updated. Seems to be fixed. The system has a lot more features in this area now. Please post a reply if you don't think this is fixed.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:24 PM
    Owner