Troubleshooting System Disk Replacement RRS feed

• Question

• A couple of weeks ago my system disk went corrupt and wouldn't boot.  I was able to fix it (I pulled it and ran checkdisk on another system) but decided that since it was an old drive (NOV '02) it probably would not last much longer.  I read and followed the postings on how to do a reinstall with a new drive, an 80GB Intel SSD, and was pleased that WHS recognized that data was present in the pooled drives.  In the WHS console I was able to see the list of shared folders that existed previously but all were listed as empty with the exception of the software folder which has WHS software in it that must have been loaded on the reinstall.

From reading previous posts, it was apparant that it would take "a really long time" for WHS to rebuild the tombstones, however after reading the posts It is unclear how long that process might take.  Is it 1 hour, 12 hours, 2 days, 10 days????  I have a little over 650GB of shared folder files.

It has been nearly two weeks since the new system drive was installed.  Demigrator.exe has been banging away using all available processor time (ususally between 95% and 98% on a 2.5 ghz pentium 4 since the reinstall.  I restarted 1 week and 1 day ago after the 500 GB WD green IDE drive was reported as missing ( the restart cured it after checkdisk was automatically run).  The drive was available again after restart and the system has been running until this morning  when that same drive went missing again which the restart cured again.

So is this normal?  Does it really take weeks for WHS to find the old data?  Is there something else I should have done or should be doing?  Is there someone who can provide a little guidance as to the "magic" that demigrator is doing and if there is a way to monitor its progress?  How will I know if it isn't working?  I was hoping to recover the data and most of the backups.

Paul

Saturday, May 8, 2010 2:26 PM

All replies

• It certainly shouldn't take weeks, no. A drive that keeps going missing suggests another drive is failing, though. That would certainly cause performance issues of all sorts. I would suggest you may want to consider a new installation of Windows Home Server, with all of your storage pool disks disconnected, followed by manually recovering your shares from those disks per this FAQ .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

I had read Olaf's post several times prior to reinstalling server and followed the instructions which got me to this point where the folders exist as they were, but without the data.  I do have the server shares backed up on a separate drive and could also extract the shares data as proscribed by Olaf.  However, I don't want to lose the backups as they may contain data I still need since two of the computers that were backed up no longer exist.  Any suggestions? 

Again, how long should it take to rebuild tombstones under normal circumstances?  Will someone describe their hardware, data amount and time it took to rebuild so that I can get a rough idea?

Saturday, May 8, 2010 5:14 PM