New install of XP pro RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased parts to build a new computer and with it an OEM install CD Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU seaed package. When i try doing the first install it will not accept the key. I looked at the setuppini file and it shows as an OEM PID. xxxxx-xxxxx-jtv68-4thr6-vm6mm
    I slipstreamed SP2 and then sp3 and tried it using the slipstreamed version of the original cd, and when it failed decided to just go ahead and use the original disk which only has SP1 on it both do the exact same thing and refuse to accept the key. I cannot run the MGA diagnostics because of course i am in the start of the first install. Is there anything i am missing?
    I do have the proper install media and it is definately a genuine disk.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:35 PM

Answers

• Hello tlcscousin,

An OEM licensing kit for XP Pro will have a Certificate of Authnticity label affixed to the shrink-wrap of the package.  Are you getting the Product Key for this installation directly from the CoA label?

Note that with the font used to print the Product Key, the letter "B" and the numeral "8" are very very easy to get mixed up.

One of the new features of XP Pro SP3 is that you can do an installation without entering the Product Key.  If you continue to have problems with the PK, may I suggest using the slipstreamed SP3 CD that you mentioned you made to install XP, taking advantage of the fact you can do the installation without entering a Product Key.  You will need to use XP Setup to repartition and reformat your hard disk to clean off the previous failed installation attempts.

Once installed, use the Activation Wizard to attempt to enter the Product Key on your CoA, and it it is accepted, please validate at www.microsoft.com/genuine to make sure it's a good key.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:19 AM

All replies

• Hello tlcscousin,

An OEM licensing kit for XP Pro will have a Certificate of Authnticity label affixed to the shrink-wrap of the package.  Are you getting the Product Key for this installation directly from the CoA label?

Note that with the font used to print the Product Key, the letter "B" and the numeral "8" are very very easy to get mixed up.

One of the new features of XP Pro SP3 is that you can do an installation without entering the Product Key.  If you continue to have problems with the PK, may I suggest using the slipstreamed SP3 CD that you mentioned you made to install XP, taking advantage of the fact you can do the installation without entering a Product Key.  You will need to use XP Setup to repartition and reformat your hard disk to clean off the previous failed installation attempts.

Once installed, use the Activation Wizard to attempt to enter the Product Key on your CoA, and it it is accepted, please validate at www.microsoft.com/genuine to make sure it's a good key.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:19 AM
  • I tried the one 8 in the key as a B same issue. I was taking the key off the COA on the Disk cover.
    I will try again with the slipstreamed version and not input a key at all and see how i make out.
    I was curious because other installs i have done used an OEM cd and had no issues the first time i have had this issue in a long time and the second time i have run into the issue using the 1-2CPU versions of the OEM disks.
    I worked for a few years in a computer repair place and quite often had to do clean and repair installs.I had to call the activation number on pretty well every install.The first time i ran into the 1-2CPU install having the issue was on an IBM with no rescue media and a dead hard drive. I ended up sending the customer to IBM to getr recovery media.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 6:01 AM
  • Hello tlcscousin,

Your wrote, "I was taking the key off the COA on the Disk cover."

I do not understand what you mean by this.  OEM product keys are located in one place and one place only, the CoA.  CoAs do NOT come affixed to a "disc cover" whatever that is.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 3:10 PM
  • The disk comes in shrink wrap with the Booklet and the COA is attached to the shrinkwrap.
    I am going to start the install again tomorrow was to busy today to try the install.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 11:22 PM