need to re-activated windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have built a new system and did a clean install of my windows 7 64 bit from the DVD. Now, i have 30 days to re-activate it again. Thing is that i bought my windows from a UK student offer scheme online, i downloaded the windows on my pc and then it installed in windows environment. I also paid an extra £10 for back up dvd in case i need it again. Now a year later i have upgraded my system and used the same manufacturer of motherboard (only model is different) but i cannot seem to re-activate windows. I do remember the online store sending me an activation code but i do not have that email anymore. I also tried the magic jelly ket finder and used the key from it but the message comes saying its a default key and i need another one.

I spent an hour over the phone with MS CS, the guy asked me to send over the scans of my disc and CEA for checking. i never used my back up dvd and now that i used it there is no product key  on it as well.

So is there a way to get my product key back like from product ID or something or im hopelessly messed up and need to dish out for another windows? This will be an unnecessary purchase for me but i guess i have no choice.

Note: i have a genuine windows product which i have used since last year with no problems. I guess since the windows are OEM im hit by one license per system but i did read here on the forums about having same manufacture for mobo will not affect it?

Please help

Monday, January 31, 2011 7:56 PM

Answers

• "Arclite" wrote in message news:bd3bb200-de6d-45af-8234-da7b2964a4fd...

Hi guys,

I have built a new system and did a clean install of my windows 7 64 bit from the DVD. Now, i have 30 days to re-activate it again. Thing is that i bought my windows from a UK student offer scheme online, i downloaded the windows on my pc and then it installed in windows environment. I also paid an extra £10 for back up dvd in case i need it again. Now a year later i have upgraded my system and used the same manufacturer of motherboard (only model is different) but i cannot seem to re-activate windows. I do remember the online store sending me an activation code but i do not have that email anymore. I also tried the magic jelly ket finder and used the key from it but the message comes saying its a default key and i need another one.

I spent an hour over the phone with MS CS, the guy asked me to send over the scans of my disc and CEA for checking. i never used my back up dvd and now that i used it there is no product key  on it as well.

So is there a way to get my product key back like from product ID or something or im hopelessly messed up and need to dish out for another windows? This will be an unnecessary purchase for me but i guess i have no choice.

Note: i have a genuine windows product which i have used since last year with no problems. I guess since the windows are OEM im hit by one license per system but i did read here on the forums about having same manufacture for mobo will not affect it?

Please help

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Please let us know what the ORIGINAL OS installed was - normally Academic licenses are only upgrades, and that may account for your problems.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, February 7, 2011 10:23 PM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 10:02 PM

All replies

• If you bought your Windows from the Microsoft Store, the Product Key for that Windows would be accessible by logging into your Microsoft Store account.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 31, 2011 9:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:25 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:46 PM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 9:38 PM
  • "Arclite" wrote in message news:bd3bb200-de6d-45af-8234-da7b2964a4fd...

Hi guys,

Please help

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Please let us know what the ORIGINAL OS installed was - normally Academic licenses are only upgrades, and that may account for your problems.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, February 7, 2011 10:23 PM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.

I did not buy the windows from MS store but from one of its partners: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/. I think i got it from software4students and i have sen them an email asking if they have my record.

I will run the MGA as soon as i get my RAM back. Epic sadness, my new build is falling apart. First windows problem and now RAM failed on me.

:(

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:02 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Monday, February 7, 2011 10:23 PM