none
Exception during preview. An internal error occurred in the sync runtime. RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the log:

SYNC: 04/15/2009 17:04:20:156: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SYNC: 04/15/2009 17:04:20:359: Starting SyncToy, version 2.0.100.0, built 12-08-2008 15:07:12.
    SYNC: 04/15/2009 17:04:27:625: Started scanning directory : C:\
    SYNC: 04/15/2009 17:04:27:625: Started scanning directory : H:\_DATA\Dell Backup (SyncToy)\
    SYNC: 04/15/2009 17:34:03:343: Stopped scanning directory : H:\_DATA\Dell Backup (SyncToy)\
    SYNC: 04/15/2009 17:34:11:984: Stopped scanning directory : C:\
    SYNC: 04/15/2009 17:34:51:875: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
     Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncRuntimeInternalErrorException: An internal error occurred in the sync runtime.
     ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004101D): The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change.
       ved Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       ved Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       --- Slut på staksporing af indre undtagelser ---
       ved Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       ved Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       ved Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       ved Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       ved SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider, FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       ved SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider, FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
       ved SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       ved SyncToy.SyncEngine.Preview()
       ved SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 04/15/2009 17:34:51:906: *** Exception during preview: An internal error occurred in the sync runtime.

SYNC: 04/16/2009 14:32:38:515: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SYNC: 04/16/2009 14:32:38:593: Starting SyncToy, version 2.0.100.0, built 12-08-2008 15:07:12.
    SYNC: 04/16/2009 14:32:51:093: Started scanning directory : C:\
    SYNC: 04/16/2009 14:32:51:093: Started scanning directory : H:\_DATA\Dell Backup (SyncToy)\
    SYNC: 04/16/2009 15:01:19:484: Stopped scanning directory : H:\_DATA\Dell Backup (SyncToy)\
    SYNC: 04/16/2009 15:03:47:296: Stopped scanning directory : C:\
    SYNC: 04/16/2009 15:04:24:109: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
     Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncRuntimeInternalErrorException: An internal error occurred in the sync runtime.
     ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004101D): The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change.
       ved Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       --- Slut på staksporing af indre undtagelser ---
       ved Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       ved Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       ved Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       ved SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider, FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       ved SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider, FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
       ved SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       ved SyncToy.SyncEngine.Preview()
       ved SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 04/16/2009 15:04:24:171: *** Exception during preview: An internal error occurred in the sync runtime.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 6:58 AM

All replies

• I had the same problem. Basically, SyncToy will only work with files whose path name is 260 characters long or less. There is a good reply to this at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synctoy/thread/5b4e1ffa-29b1-41d4-856d-65360eefd5aa#0cb47b5e-29e2-4030-8f16-1f4ae0333149:

I am sorry this thread went unaddressed this long.
    SyncToy (and the underlying FileSyncProvider component) both can sync files/folders with path length upto 260 characters.  Items with longer path can cause an itnernal error.

Another thing that may cause an internal error is when a file/folder is locked. This can happen when there's indexing going on on the source/destination or an antivirus program happens to lock with the file briefly, preventing access by SyncToy. This isn't usually harmful - the file should get sync'ed over next time without corruption.

Hope this helps,
    Sameer

• Proposed as answer by glientsc Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:26 AM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 4:21 PM
  • I used TreeSize Pro to find files with lengths of >256 characters and renamed or moved them. I think the 256 limit is a FAT32 feature.

I also had a similar problem with files that were named with non-standard (such as long hyphens or Japanese/Chinese) characters. Renamed them as well, and since then I have no issues any more.

• Proposed as answer by glientsc Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:27 AM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:25 AM
  • I have the exact same problem, but the 260 character issue is not the culprit. The exception happens on the same file every single time. I decided to delete the file, and then it happens on another file in the same subfolder. Delete that one, and it happens to another one in that subfolder. All of the files in question are just PDF files with average file name lengths, and have all synced previously. The issue just began. 

Any other suggestions out there? I've disabled Kaspersky during the sync just to make sure it wasn't an antivirus related issue.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:19 PM
  • I've just experienced this error message for the first time, and noticed that SyncToy had got stuck whilst creating a new contribute action for a file (just a URL link, not a PDF) on my MS OneDrive, with the corresponding location labeled as SkyDrive on my external hard drive. Without wanting to spend too much time on the complications of creating a new sync action, I unchecked the whole SkyDrive location in the tree for my G Drive, and hoped it would make SyncToy automatically create a new folder for OneDrive.  I've just run SyncToy again and it has worked perfectly (I've also checked my G Drive contents, and a new OneDrive folder has indeed appeared!). 
    Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:35 PM
  • (Now all I need to do is copy & paste the folders in my SkyDrive on my G Drive over to my OneDrive on the same; delete the SkyDrive folder, and run SyncToy as usual in future.)

Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:39 PM
  • Hi all.

I had exactly the same message. Yes, I followed the advice below etc. looking for long file names.

But in the end I tried my own fix. And it worked. Quick and easy:

1) Note carefully the parameters of the Pair that is causing the problem

2) Delete the Pair concerned.

3) Recreate the Pair

4) Rerun the Pair

Hope it helps.

Tim

Sunday, November 19, 2017 5:48 PM
  • Thank you Tim, that worked perfectly for me.

Much obliged sir! :o)

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:34 PM
  • Thanks, it's understandable! I hope it's gone be work for me.
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:29 AM