How can I get rid of a file conflict error on my home server? RRS feed

• Question

• My home server is reporting the following conflict:  Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

I'm not sure what caused this error, as all I was doing was copying from one hard drive to a share on my home server.  However, when it occurred, I just deleted the share on my home server, recreated it, and then ran the copy again.  I believe that the error is long gone, but it is still being reported in 'Network At Risk'. 

How can I be sure that the error is gone and then eliminate it from the error reporting?  Unlike some network problems on the server, this one doesn't give me the option to 'Ignore' it.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:02 PM

Answers

• i think that the problem is being caused because the names of the files being copiee are in the shorted name format and apparently the same name is being given to files in different directories  I decided to just delete the share because I didn't really need it anyway.  Doing so did eliminate the error.  I think I could have zipped the files and avoided the problem  I also thing that the situation was caused by having deep directories and long names, requiring shortening them, but I'm not certain about that..

I did talk with HP support about this problem, but short of deleting the share, they couldn't offer any better solutions.

Saturday, March 5, 2011 6:09 PM