"The product key you typed has been blocked from use by Microsoft" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

In the last 24 hours I've been reading a lot on this formun about this problem I'm having, and I tried everything I could find. I thought I'd share my experience.

I've been using a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit upgrade I received months ago as part of the Microsoft Windows 7 upgrade option program (bought a PC with Vista ultimate 64-bit OEM and got Windows 7 64-bit UPG shipped to me from Microsoft). Yesterday I started getting a message at the bottom of the screen (it turned black) saying that my copy of Windows was not genuine (which is quite strange, again it comes from Microsoft).
    Please keep in mind the fact that I didn't change anything hardware-wise and I didn't modify anything in the software either, it was a Windows Vista OEM install from the original DVD (wiped the hard drive), followed by an upgrade I started from within Windows Vista (PC on, Win7 DVD in the drive - Upgrade). 

In the evening I decided to reinstall, so I started again from Windows Vista OEM - activated it again without problems - then installed Windows 7 UPG.
    While trying to activate it I got the following message: 'The product key you typed has been blocked from use by Microsoft'.
    I tried the automated phone system, all I got was a 'we can't activate your Windows'. It was late, so I coulnd't really call and expect someone to answer the phone, I decided to try the online validation procedure at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine which my Windows 7 OEM UPG passes. Unfortunately it doesn't help in activating my Windows.

Today I called again and waited to be connected with something more than an automated system. After explaining my problem and reading my installation ID to the operator I was asked to try the online validation twice (which my Windows passes, again). After this, all I got was: "I'm unable to help you, all I can see is that the key is blocked" and a phone number for Microsoft Netherlands office - which I called. Here it gets interesting.

After explaining the situation in detail and reading my product key to the operator I get this answer: "Since it is an OEM product you should contact assistance from our technical department, it will cost you 72 euro, you can pay by credit card". This is a bad joke, right?
    At the same time nobody I spoke to was able or willing to tell me why the product key from a Windows 7 I received from Microsoft got blocked: please remember that my original Windows Vista Ultimate OEM key passed activation (is 'genuine'), the problem is tied to a Windows 7 I got shipped from Microsoft directly on it's physical media with holograms and COA sticker. It really felt like being insulted.

Anyone from Microsoft able to shed some light on this issue?

VLK has been locked
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:20 PM

Answers

• Hello Johnson Pillay,

Please create your own thread and post a Diagnostic report (as described in the "Dianostic Report Required to Troubleshoot Issue" announcment on the top of the main forum page). 

In the mean time, I am marking this thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:57 PM

All replies

• In order for us to analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the   Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool. 

After running the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button, then Paste the report into your post.  Also, please include a brief question or pertinent background information that would be helpful in our endeavor to assist you.

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Hello Johnson Pillay,

Please create your own thread and post a Diagnostic report (as described in the "Dianostic Report Required to Troubleshoot Issue" announcment on the top of the main forum page). 

In the mean time, I am marking this thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:57 PM