Remote Access of WHS console vs Remote Desktop Access of WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I've been searching for an answer to my question, but there are so many articles of this type ('remote' and 'access') that I've given up reading all of them. There is a definate need for FAQ(stickies) in this topic as well as many others.

Here is description of what I am trying to do.

All default functions of remote access to WHS and attached computers work just fine. I can access WHS console remotely, but I am trying to access desktop of WHS remotely to control a software that's installed on WHS.

Is that possible?

Thank you.

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:24 PM

Answers

• Yes, Remote Access into your home pc, open MSTSC  (RDP), connect into your home server.

This is not a support scenario because Windows Home Server is designed to be headless.  That is why you do not see an FAQ about this.  You should be able to control the Console from any home pc connected to the home server, even through Remote Access.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 9:00 PM
  •  davidnjina wrote:

Hi there,

I've been searching for an answer to my question, but there are so many articles of this type ('remote' and 'access') that I've given up reading all of them. There is a definate need for FAQ(stickies) in this topic as well as many others.

All default functions of remote access to WHS and attached computers work just fine. I can access WHS console remotely, but I am trying to access desktop of WHS remotely to control a software that's installed on WHS.

Is that possible?

Thank you.

Joel's answer is the "official" MS response to your question.

Having said that, there are other ways to do what you want.  Check Full remote control for details...

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:40 AM

All replies

• Yes, Remote Access into your home pc, open MSTSC  (RDP), connect into your home server.

This is not a support scenario because Windows Home Server is designed to be headless.  That is why you do not see an FAQ about this.  You should be able to control the Console from any home pc connected to the home server, even through Remote Access.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 9:00 PM
  •  davidnjina wrote:

Hi there,

Is that possible?

Thank you.

Joel's answer is the "official" MS response to your question.

Having said that, there are other ways to do what you want.  Check Full remote control for details...

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:40 AM
  • kariya21,

Thanks for your help. That was the solution I was looking for. It was buried so deep that I knew the solution existed somewhere in the forum, but I just couldn't figure out exact search words for it.

This is one of worst forums in terms of searching for answer to your questions and help from people like you are very appriciated.

David

Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:52 AM