VERY UPSET and NEED QUESTIONS ANSWERED RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I am not quite understanding a few things here and I need help IMMEDIATELY, AS THIS CONCERNS MY MS Equipt, ok???? I am very unhappy and upset about a couple of things which I've had patience for over a period of two months!

I have already received a bunch of notifications about MS Equipt being discontinued as of Wed. 4-30-09 and have received my refund check and the free MS Office 2007 CD, however, I NEED TO KNOW:

1) Why do I have to pay for a temporary (or permanent) virus protection software if MS Equipt is being discontinued as of 4-30-09?

2) When will the no-cost security solution start for the consumers who purchased MS Equipt?

3) When will my OneCare (part of the MS Equipt package) be discontinued? Is it only after I uninstall MS Equipt or will it automatically discontinue on its own?

4) How do I check the status of my OneCare security protection?

5) When I tried to "back-up" files to change the status of my "OneCare" from fair to good, how do I know how much space is needed? Are the files compressed or in full size? (I tried the following link to back up files to an internal drive: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-S/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/22258a6a-3e94-4ac2-a3e7-b21683fb913c, but was unable to do so. I, thus far, have backed up files onto two [2] blank CD's. When I backed them up onto blank CD's, I was unable to finish backing, as it had indicated that the CDs were not large enough to back up the files, yet they're each 650 MB in size.)

6) Just the other night (Tuesday, April 29th, 2009), I received an infestation of "Trojan" software, which was very harmful to my computer and that these "deamons" (as I'd call them) were stealing my personal information. Luckily, as a college student and part-time worker in FL, I don't do any banking or any other thing that involves personal information on my home PC (the one which is insecure).

7) Why can I not get a hold of tech support via phone: 1-877-545-5769?

8) Will you please e-mail me at ( removed ), indicating how to check for answers to my questions I ask on this site?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR DAMN HELP!

-Dave Chandra

• Changed type JimR1Moderator Friday, May 1, 2009 11:14 PM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Friday, May 1, 2009 11:15 PM Off Topic. (From:Windows Live OneCare Backup and Restore)
    • Edited by JimR1Moderator Friday, May 1, 2009 11:39 PM Removed e-mail address.
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:08 AM (From:Windows Live OneCare – Off Topic)
    Friday, May 1, 2009 7:14 PM

All replies

• This forum is for the discussion of Windows Live One Care. I don't know much about Microsoft Equipt but I will try to answer some of your questions.

1. That is why you got a refund. There are many free antimalware products available if you look around.

2. The free antimalware product from Microsoft code named Morro will be available in the second half of this year.

3. I believe One Care when packaged with Equipt will stop updating after 4/30/09.

4. If the One Care icon is green the protection status is good.

5. Backups are compressed into zip files. Unless you are planning to purchase a One Care subscription I wouldn't suggest using One Care to back up your files since restoring them will be quite a chore if you uninstall One Care.

6. If One Care cannot remove or cannot detect malware on your computer, support will help with removal.

7. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90 
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Friday, May 1, 2009 11:38 PM