off topic - Error 0x04100407 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I upgraded to Vista Ultimate.  I believe I have either a virus or some kind of spyware because I keep getting a DEP message.  I scanned with OneCare and it found a number of viruses and spyware but I had to buy an additional anti-virus software to find the others.  I tried the live scanner and it does not recognize I have upgraded and it will not scan at all even with the xp scanner.

I have spent on this software and I am still having problems.  I do not want to do a complete restore because I have so much I want on my pc.  Where and how these viruses got on my pc is beyond me. 

I need some assistance please?

Friday, October 3, 2008 9:35 PM

All replies

• You're posting to the OneCare by subscription forums, so you're off topic and need to be asking this (and mentioning which potentially rogue Anti-Virus you were coerced into buying) on the free OneCare Safety Scanner forums.  However:

Error 0x04100407:

In order to run Windows Live OneCare safety scanner, you must be logged in as an administrator on your computer. Please log in using an administrator user name and password, then rerun the scan.

In Vista this will pop up if you have UAC turned on and you haven't launched the scanner as an administrator.  To do so, right-click on the Internet Explorer icon in the Start Menu and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.

Friday, October 3, 2008 10:37 PM