Planning for a complete solution for unified communications RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I would like to give me his opinion for the following scenario:

Implementation of the Microsoft Unified Communications for an organization of 250 users. It currently has a CallManager 4.1 and Cisco Unity.

The idea is migrate to CallManager 6.1 integrated with OCS through a mediation server. Moreover, the calls must be ringing in Cisco IP phones such as the Communicator clients.
    The mailbox's service (Unity) would be replaced by the Exchange Unified Messaging.

My questions are:
    1. What is the difference between "Enterprise Voice" and "Enterprise Voice + PBX Integration?
    2. Is it possible that the Cisco IP phones  and Microsoft Communicator ring at once, that is, everything is completely integrated?
    3. Do I need the Cisco Presence Server (CUPS)?
    4. I have read that if I use 'PBX Integration" I can not use the voice mail of Communication Server. Is it true? Why?

At the moment, work the communication CUCM (trunksip )<--> MEDIATOR <-> OCS (in both senses).

Thank you very much at all.
    A greeting.

Jesus Martinez.

P.D. Excuse me English.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:18 PM

All replies

• Your Questions

1. EV vs EV + PBX integration 

- Enterprise Voice is used when Telephony features for OCS are required for a user (Telephony via Direct Sip via PBX or Gateway but no integration, separated Telephony systems)

- Enterprise Voice + PBX integration is full integration between PBX and OCS (Full integration of PBX and OCS with sinble number on both OCS and PBX with Dual Forking that means either phone or communicator can be used as an voice Endpoint, at this time only Nortel supported)

2. Yes it is possible with Dual Forking but only Nortel currently

Cisco was supposed to have this feature in 7.0 or 7.1 but apparently it's still not there, so no joy yet

3. CUPS Required for Remote Call Control but that is legacy integration into PBX only phone can be used as Voice Endpoint.  OCS needs Dual Forking + RCC to be EV Enabled, Cisco does still not comply with Dual Forking...

4. Not sure about that one but you should still be able to connect to Exchagne UM directly from Cisco

More info on PBX Integrations

http://www.microsoft.com/communicationsserver/en/us/administration-extensibility.aspx#Interoperability

The Open Interoperability program Cisco is supported to do Direct SIP with following Callmanager versions:

• 4.2(3)sr3a
    • 5.1.3000-5
    • 6.1.1.3000-2

You must have at least those version to do Direct SIP to OCS otherwise you need a Gateway

More info

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bb735838.aspx#supported3

Cisco Callmanager supported for Exchange UM

At least : Callmanager 5.0, 5.1, 6.0

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc164342.aspx#supIPPBX

Thursday, November 27, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Thank for your response.

... But, to use the same number in CUCM and SCO and allow both, IP phones as the communicator monitor calls, I need DUAL FORKING or DUAL FORKING + RCC?

A greeting.
    Jesus
    Friday, November 28, 2008 9:17 AM
  • Hi Jesus,

To use the same number you would need dual call forking. In CUCM 7.0 Cisco have down a version of this using their mobility feature (which requires a license) and some fancy number translations. See below for the document regarding this feature. This is as close as you will get to dual call forking for now using CUCM. There are other ways to do this using call forwarding also but probably not quite as feature full as using the mobility features in CUCM. Combining this with RCC would be a nice combination for a small deployment of 250 if you can afford it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns414/ns728/ns784/716742.pdf

Good luck

Chris

Friday, November 28, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Looks like a crappy workarround for not having Dual Forking

Monday, December 1, 2008 9:43 PM
  • I would have to agree. Its kind of lame but it is all they have at the moment. At least they are now supporting E.164 and the + sign in 7.0 which helps. But still this isn't true call forking as I understand it and it also isn't free. Unfortunately Cisco has a license for every time you sneeze.

Cheers

Chris

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:03 PM
  • Hi, please take a look at this guide:

Basic Setup for pbxnsip / Office Communications Server 2007 Interoperability OCS

Anyone knows if this is DUAL FORKING ? I can only say it works fine Smile (1.5 years in our productive enviroment) and it has no extra license, Support of E.164 with + sign by default and IPv6. Smile Runs on Windows, MAC OS, Linux. Smile

At the end of the guide you will find an example of a complete solution for unified communications & collaboration, except RCC (remote call control). btw.: RCC is a De-Emphasized feature, e.g.: no uacsta conference commands in OC2007 R1 & R2 but in OC2005! Click / Drag & Drop Conferencing can only be used with Enterprise Voice!

Best regards,

Jan
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

1. EV or Enterprise voice is having OCS as your endpoint for sending and receiving calls. If your users also have a deskphone then I will recommend to also have pbx integration to enable RCC.

2. This is possible however - you can enable the simultanous ring feature.

3, Depends if you want the PBX hard phones presence shown on the communcaitor clients as well. I would recommend to have the CUP server as well. Then you have compelte presence across both environments.

4. I assume you mean that exchange will handle the voicemail? If you connect Cisco with a sip truck to the exchange server, then exchange will handle your voicemail.

with PBX integration alone, OCS does not do any voice and therefore cannot route the call to your voicemail system.

You would want to enable EV and PBX integration and then the OC client will forward the calls to exchange for the UM piece.

Regards

Anesh  

Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:04 PM