none
Offline Updating of Office 2016

Question

• I have an isolated host system which is Window 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit enu (fully updated) on which is loaded an activated Office 2016 from the current MSDN en_office_professional_plus_2016_x86_x64_dvd_6962141.iso with default configuration for testing purposes.

This is a C2R installation with no option for any other "msi" configuration.  No msi variant seems to be available to a "Visual Studio Enterprise with MSDN (VL)" subscriber.

What do I have to do to make a WSUS Client recognise that Office 2016 is present and then to update it?

This is required for software testing because there is no point testing on an as-installed system with no updates when target C2R systems may be updated.  No internet connection is allowed on the host system.

Thank you

• Moved by Cindy Meister MVPMVP Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:42 PM msdn subscription, not office-development
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 5:59 PM

Answers

• Why you cannot give a straight answer here is beyond me.

Visual Studio + MSDN used to provided Volume License images/keys but in recent times it has not.  This was seen as important to be able to test VL configurations.

To update Office 2016 offline you need the VL image & key.

The upshot for me, with no internet access for the develpoment system, is that I cannot test up-to-date Office 2016 configurations.

I take this as an example of Microsoft not thinking through the consequence of its actions on legitimate users: why should the C2R version not be updated by Microsoft Update?

Thanks anyway: at least I understand why I can't do what I was trying to do.

• Marked as answer by Kenneth_E Friday, December 18, 2015 3:04 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2015 3:04 PM

All replies