Remote Wake RRS feed

• Question

• A very handy ability would be to take avantage of the Wake on Lan ability of most modern pc's now, once complete a remote shutdown would be great aswell. This would then allow the computers data to be backed up while i am at work, and also to retrive the data off the computer

Stuart

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:47 PM

Answers

• Conceptually a good idea - you can already shutdown your WHS using the WHS Console and WOL is entirely OS independent which means if your hardware supports it, you can take any available WOL utility and use to wake your WHS - at least from inside your LAN - the chances of your being able to do it from outside the LAN are, so to speak, quite remote.

Your average broadband router does not support remote WOL as this would require directed ip broadcasts, which, if enabled, would allow the router to be used in a denial of service (DoS) attack known as a smurf attack.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:56 PM

All replies

• Conceptually a good idea - you can already shutdown your WHS using the WHS Console and WOL is entirely OS independent which means if your hardware supports it, you can take any available WOL utility and use to wake your WHS - at least from inside your LAN - the chances of your being able to do it from outside the LAN are, so to speak, quite remote.

Your average broadband router does not support remote WOL as this would require directed ip broadcasts, which, if enabled, would allow the router to be used in a denial of service (DoS) attack known as a smurf attack.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:56 PM
  • Its not so much the server i have a problem with it's more the "client" this is due to the server being on all the time. What i was meaning is all the PC's i have in the hosehold have remote wake on lan ability, what would be nice is in the computers menu where it says "Offline or Sleeping" another button say Wake this PC now or have it so that the WHS can wake them up at a certain time so that the backups can be performed in the day or night.

Stuart

P.S If i dont make sense i do appologise in advance

Thursday, April 26, 2007 11:56 PM
  • As far as I know a mechanism already exists to wake a PC from hibernate or standby mode, so that the back up can be performed, after which the system will return to the previous state, assuming that it is configured to so.

What's important here, may be to recognise that almost all systems manufactured in recent times allow hibernate/standby, wheras WOL tends to be more business oriented - appearing on business systems rather than consumer systems.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:47 AM
  •  fordem wrote:

As far as I know a mechanism already exists to wake a PC from hibernate or standby mode, so that the back up can be performed, after which the system will return to the previous state, assuming that it is configured to so.

Actually, there is no mechanism for WHS to "wake" a client PC. The connector on the client PC handles that, probably through ACPI or a hardware timer.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:25 PM
  • I'd guess that the original poster doesn't care how it's done as long as it's done, and the fact remains that a mechanism exists to wake the PC so that it gets backed up.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 4:03 PM
  • I second the idea - not just to allow backup, but for remote access of a client system. 

Here's an example...before traveling this weekend, I configured my client system to Wake On Lan (I had previously configured my router to allow me to do this from the internet - see http://smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/29941/53/).   The hotel internet service apparently blocked the port I was trying to send the WOL packet. 

It would be nice to have a feature on the WHS console that sends the magic packet inside my home network to wake up the client....thus allowing me to run a remote session.  Perhaps this could be written as an add-in.

BTW for backups I leave my client powered off, but set to wake up via Real-time-clock alarm in BIOS at 1:50 am.  WHS is set up to do the backups between 2-4 am.  The client then shuts down automatically at 4:05 am using an application called Autoshutdown Pro that I purchased a few years back.  Not pretty but it works.

Sunday, April 29, 2007 11:13 PM
  • Just FYI, Windows Home Server does track the MAC address(es) of client PCs, so it would be possible to build such an add-in...
    Monday, April 30, 2007 12:58 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Just FYI, Windows Home Server does track the MAC address(es) of client PCs, so it would be possible to build such an add-in...

Hi,

can you tell me a way to retrieve these MAC addresses ?

I am currently developing a small Add-in which performs the task you are talking about, but it's still in test phase.

By now, I am pinging the local network and send an ARP request to every responding NIC.

But it would be nice if I could get the MAC addresses from the WHS directly Smile .

Greets, Alex

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 2:23 PM
  • According to the SDK, the MAC address isn't exposed for client PCs. That means that you'll have to access the registry to retrieve the information. It's there, though (not being where I can get to my WHS desktop) I can't tell you exactly where.

Notes:
    • This will doubtless be an unsupported hack.
    • For client PCs with multiple NICs (laptops, for example) all of the MAC addresses that have been used to communicate with WHS are recorded. It's up to you to figure out which one you want. Smile
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for the hint!

I would not call this a 'hack' to read values from the registry Smile.

FYI the information is stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients\...

Greets Alex

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 2:55 PM
  • It's a hack because it's undocumented, therefore may change in future versions. And yes, that looks like the right key. Smile
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 4:02 PM
  • Hopefully they make it part of future versions of the SDK, to have a 'documented' way to access these informations Wink

Greets

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 5:15 PM
  • This is an excellent idea, and really appropriate for the "green" sensation that is beginning to sweep the country.   It should be easy too -- a quick google search produced the following technology, and it appears to be a simple implementation.

Windows Graphical User Interface (GUI)

Wake on Lan for Windows Graphical User Interface (GUI) 

For those that don't like the dark old days of dos we have produced a version of Wake on Lan for Windows

Updated version - now the port number really does mean the remote port number...

You can now also use a FQDN as the IP Address

What does it look like

Price - Wake On Lan GUI is now free.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 5:30 AM
  • Have a look at http://www.matcode.com/wol.htm this free command line utility could be run as a scheduled job to bide you over for now.
    They also sell ($27) a remote shutdown program

Best idea for me would be an option as per Veritas Backup Exec - they allow a job to run before and another after the backup - the first wakes the PC up and the second sends a RPC command to shut the PC down again.

Andrew
    Saturday, August 4, 2007 11:08 PM