Solution import fails with circular reference Quick View Forms RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created a solution that cannot be imported into a new organization.
    This solution contains only two custom entities where each entity has the following properties:

- One N:1 relationship to the other entity.
        - One custom text attribute.
        - One QuickViewForm containing the primary attribute and the custom text attribute.
        - The MainForm includes the custom text attribute, the lookup attribute to the other entity and the QuickViewForm of the other entity.

In fact I created a solution where two entity's main form use the QuickviewForm of the other entity in a sort of circular reference.

After exporting this solution (managed or unmanaged does not matter), the resulting solution file cannot be imported into a new organization where these entities do not exist.
    The import error log says "systemform With Id = a0c088fc-44e3-44e9-a510-badeb56d8c48 Does Not Exist"
    Looking at the extracted customization.xml of the solution zip file, the ID a0c088fc-44e3-44e9-a510-badeb56d8c48 corresponds to the QuickViewForm

Could someone confirm this is an issue/bug?

Adding the the required components to the solution for these entities does not change the outcome of the import process.  Circular reference at the attribute level (Lookups) seems to be handled properly by the import process but as soon as QuickViewForms are added in a circular reference fashion, the import fails every time.

This was tested on an On-premise Microsoft Dynamics® CRM 2013 Service Pack 1 (SP1) (6.1.0.581) (DB 6.1.0.581)

Regards

Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:13 PM

All replies

• I can confirm this behaviour.

I have something even simpler, a 1:N relationship with a quick view and i get the exact same message and import fails. This is using CRM 2013 Online with service pack 1 installed.

The fix is as simple as removing all custom quick views from all forms and then do export/import and then add quick views manually. It is extremely annoying.

Friday, July 4, 2014 1:27 PM
  • I agree with you, Only one quick view form is needed to reproduce this issue but I also found out that the naming of the entities have a role to play in this issue.
    In a single Quick view form scenario, turns out that if entityA uses the quick view form of entityB, it will fail import in a new organisation
    If it was entityB using EntityA's quick view form, the import would succeed.

CRM seems to import entities in alphabetical order and when A uses B, it creates the form of entityA first (it consumes the B quick view form) but EntityB's forms have not been created yet.
    When B uses A, CRM creates EntityA first and it's Quick View Form, then it creates EntityB and there is no error since EntityA and its Quick View Form already exists.

I am unsure how CRM handles the import process exactly but here is a thought:
    Since it is possible to import entities that are linked in a circular references manner by creating 1:N relationships between the 2 entities, during import, CRM must somehow create the entities first (Without the fields) then in a second step create the lookup fields.

I would think that the same process should be used when creating QuickView forms
    The proper order of creation that I would implement would be:
    1) Create entities without fields, forms and QuickViewForms
    2) Create the fields
    3) Create the QuickView forms
    4) Create the regular forms (that might consume QuickViewForms)

My guess is that steps 3 and 4 are one and the same in the current version of CRM and need to be separated.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:59 PM
  • Hi,

thank you for using Microsoft Forums and Communities. I am sorry to hear that you run into issues during this import scenario. We very much appreaciate your feedback and your work on investigating the issue further.

Have you already contacted Microsoft Support in this regards? If yes, could you provide me the number of the related Support Request so I can review the current state and provide you more Information if possible?

Many thanks in advance,

Nina Peneva

Support Engineer

Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Follow EMEA Microsoft Dynamics CRM Support on Twitter https://twitter.com/MSDynCRMSupport

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 4:37 PM
  • Hello,

We did open a support incident with Microsoft,

The number is 114061790362927

Regards

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:15 PM
  • Hi Blanker73,

Many thanks for your response. I am glad to hear that you have contacted Microsoft Support in this regards already. I have reviewed the case and shortly discussed with the colleague of mine who is working with you in this regards.

As she already confirmed, she was able to reproduce the issue on a test lab and is currently collaboration with further resources to verify the behavior and the next steps going forward.

We will get back to you again via the Support Case as soon as possible with an update.

Thank you for your patience and further collaboration.  

If you have any questions or concerns in the meantime, please let us know.

Nina Peneva

Support Engineer

Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Follow EMEA Microsoft Dynamics CRM Support on Twitter https://twitter.com/MSDynCRMSupport

• Edited by nina.peneva Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:48 PM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:48 PM
  • Thanks for providing this workaround, Niz0r. There is a slightly faster workaround: 

1. Take a backup of your solution.
    2. In your source environment, remove all quick views from all forms.
    3. Save, publish and export a new solution.
    4. Import the updated solution to the target environment.
    5. Now the quick view forms are imported and available. You can re-import your original solution backup to both environments. 

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:13 AM