How to restore the WHS2011 system disk (C:) via remote access? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to restore the system (C:) partition back from a full image backup.  My server is headless (no monitor or keyboard) so I cannot reboot and hit F8.   My only option is via RDP but I cannot do it.  This is where I get stuck:   

Started the Dashboard, Select Computers and Backup-> Server ->  Restore Files and Folders wizard

select the backup disk (which is an xternal USB drive)

select restore from a specific backup

select the date I want to restore to

select a full drive

select C: (operating System)

Select the target drive ->  there is no C: drive as the destination. ?????  It lists the other backup partitions in the system (D:, E: F: etc). 

-----------------------------

How can I restore the system partition without reboot and F8?

Friday, August 26, 2011 1:21 AM

All replies

• I suggest you read this:

Backup & Restore

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:40 AM
  • Step 1

Remotely administered server

In the model, the server is administered from a client computer after the Windows Home Server 2011 connector software is installed. This server recovery option requires that you run the server recovery process from a client computer on the same network. Because factory reset requires that a hardware-specific image be shipped with the server, the OEM must include a server recovery DVD when they ship the server from the factory. 

-----------------

Step 2

Restore the server from a backup

This option assumes that you configured server backup and that the server backup completed successfully at least one time prior to the server failure. Bare metal restore (BMR) supports recovery of the system drives only from a previous server backup. Following a BMR, the server is returned to the state that existed at the time of the backup that is used for the restore. This is typically the most recent backup, but in some cases it may be an earlier backup. Data recovery is done by using the Restore Files and Folders wizard after the system is restored.

Did I understand right that I cannot schedule a restart and automatic System drive recovery within OS itself? 

My WHS ver1 came with a HP System Recovery DVD but this time I got the WHS2011 directly from Microsoft (Microsoft OEM System builder Pack.)  Box contains 1) Server installation DVD, 2) Client Computer Restore CD and 3) Preinstallation Disk for system Builders.    What shall we do if we don't have a  OEM recovery DVD and remotely manage our server?     

Friday, August 26, 2011 4:37 AM
  • If you install Windows Home Server 2011 yourself, you do so "locally", using directly connected monitor, keyboard, and mouse. You need to do your recovery the same way, as this is not a "Remotely administered server" as Microsoft defines it. It's probably possible, using the tools and information in the OPK, to create a remote restore capability of your own, but Microsoft doesn't expect people to upgrade their headless devices from V1 to Windows Home Server 2011, so they've made no provision for end user remote restores.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 26, 2011 12:56 PM
  • If you install Windows Home Server 2011 yourself, you do so "locally", using directly connected monitor, keyboard, and mouse. You need to do your recovery the same way, as this is not a "Remotely administered server" as Microsoft defines it. It's probably possible, using the tools and information in the OPK, to create a remote restore capability of your own, but Microsoft doesn't expect people to upgrade their headless devices from V1 to Windows Home Server 2011, so they've made no provision for end user remote restores.
    Thank you.   I still don't get why Microsoft didn't allow end users using RDP to recover the system partition without specific recovery DVD.  The backup file includes a full "image" of the system partition.  It is neither my job, nor is a rocket science to script a reboot, format and re-image system partition. 
    Friday, August 26, 2011 7:17 PM
  • I thought about this issue when installing WHS 2011 on my headless MediaSmart EX470 this weekend. I used the "put the server system drive into a desktop computer with a monitor, keyboard, and DVD drive" method, turning the desktop off during the first reboot and swapping the drive back into the home server (see the EX470 post on this forum, look for comment from Mike48236).

What I ended up deciding is: if I need to restore my server in future, I'll try the same thing: put the server drive in my desktop machine, choose the recovery option, and wing it from there. Someday I'll try this out, but for now, I'm happy verifying that I can restore individual server files out of a server backup. The fallback plan is to build/buy a magic VGA cable for my box.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:50 AM
  • I recommend buying. Building one requires fairly precise soldering, and if you get it wrong you could conceivably burn your motherboard...
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Thank you.   I still don't get why Microsoft didn't allow end users using RDP to recover the system partition without specific recovery DVD.  The backup file includes a full "image" of the system partition.  It is neither my job, nor is a rocket science to script a reboot, format and re-image system partition. 

Windows has never permitted writing to certain critical files that the OS keeps open while running. That's why so many Windows updates result in a reboot; files are open and programs that need to be updated are running, so .dlls are loaded. Restoring the OS doesn't just need to hit a few files, either, it needs to be able to update the entire system partition. The result is that you can't restore over a running OS; you have to run the restore "offline" as far as that OS is concerned.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:00 PM