Problem opening search engine links RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have recently acquired a strange problem in that when clicking on a link displayed in a search engine (have tried google and yahoo with same results) I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display this page" message. Oddly, if I then click on the [Diagnose Connection Problems] button it then opens the required page behind the Wecome to Diagnostics window and I can then cancel the diagnostics (which tell me there are no problems if I continue with them).
    Thinking that some sort of Malware might have attacked my search engines I have run Malwarebytes, McAfee virus checker (both fully updated) and Windows Live One Care Scan all of which report no problems.
    I am running IE8 on Intel processor x86 based 3.0 Ghz PC, 512MB Ram using Windows XP Home SP3 fully updated.
    I am only an adequate computer user so please don't ask me to do anything too complicated!
    I would be very grateful for any advice as I'm getting so infuriated with this I am yet again considering a complete system restore to factory set. :-(
    Addendum: Sorry, forgot to say I have already tried a reset and complete reinstall of IE8.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:36 AM

All replies