Connecting external users to live meeting sessions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

I'm trying to figure out how to get external users to connect.

I've setup a ocs standard server, with a edge server.

Now when i arrange a meeting from my outlook client to external anynomous (who are allowed) users, they receive this email:

Administrator has invited you to attend an online meeting using Microsoft® Office Communications Server.
    Audio Information
    Computer Audio
    To use computer audio, you need speakers and a microphone, or a headset.
    First-Time Users
    Make sure the Office Live Meeting client is installed before the meeting:
    Troubleshooting
    Unable to join the meeting?  Launch the Office Live Meeting client and join the meeting with the following information:
            Meeting ID:     74ecfd869b974b95a268b7d845b90348
            Entry Code:     T2CE5rPa4

If you still cannot enter the meeting, contact support:
    Notice
    Office Live
    Meeting can be used to record meetings. By participating in this
    meeting, you agree that your communications may be monitored or
    recorded at any time during the meeting.

How is a external user able to connect to my edge server with this information? I see the meeting url but this doesnt really show the fqdn of the edge server. How does it work?

Friday, August 1, 2008 10:35 PM

All replies

• Live Meeting 2007 also "speaks" SIP like Communicator.  It makes a connection to the Access Edge based on the domain after the @ sign in the meeting location.  The Access Edge communicates with the front end to determine the web conferencing external FQDN and passes it back the LM client, which then makes a connection to that FQDN (the web conferencing edge).

Saturday, August 2, 2008 5:16 AM
  • So basicly i should always use a public sipdomain for users who need to communicate to the outside world as their default sipdomain?

I always thought those invitations would contain both external and internal links.
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 6:35 AM
  • Correct, the best practice is to match the SIP address to the user's SMTP address.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 8:17 AM
  • Thanks a lot!

The problem I see now is that, when I wish to use the automatic sign-on features via dns, I need to use the internal sip address right? Or is this unimportant for the authentication process.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:40 PM
  • In your external zone you would have an SRV record (_sip._tls.domain.com) that points to your access edge server's A record.  You would also have an A record pointing to your web conferencing server that should match the external FQDN setting on the web conferencing properties of your pool.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:56 PM