How to enable contact object for communications server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

After install OCS Server, I am able to enable AD user for communication server, but it doesn't work for contact objects. There is a communication property in contact objects, and I can do some sip configuration in there but when I click "OK" button, I received The following error message

"Cannot save the settings because this contact does not have valid originator SID field in the Active Directory(AD)."

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:19 PM

All replies

• I think it doesn't work for contacts, because in that case there are no user in Active Directory for authentication and you need a user and a certificate (in case of TLS communication) to be able to connect the client through your front end.

If you are trying to enable a external user to use a client and connect to your OCS I think that the best way to do it is to create a PIC and integrate your OCS with MSN (for example) and then add the external contact to your contact list. Just reminding that in this case you would need a Edge Server in your DMZ Network, a valid "External" Certificate and a Reverse Proxy for that.

[]s,

Gus

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:25 PM
  • That is correct, OCS does not allow for anonymous user access (outside of joining a Web Conference) and Active Directory Contact objects do not have any credentials associated with them and cannot be used to authenticate a session.

What functionailty are you trying to accomplish?  Contacts typically represent external users which, and even if you created a mail-enabled User Account, would have no way to use the system unless you deployed the OC client to them and allowed external access to those users.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:49 PM