locked
After server reinstall, Drive status: 'Not added' RRS feed

  • Question

  • I had to reinstall my WHS operating system. I have 3 drives: a 160GB internal SATA (system drive), a 300GB internal SATA drive and a 1.5TB external SATA drive. After reinstalling the OS, my console shows the 300GB is 'Not Added' and my Shared Folders window shows the status of most of my shares as "Failing". I have checked some of the smaller shares that are marked as failing, and I seem to be able to access all the files on them. It's been like this for several weeks, I've been afraid to try re-adding the 300GB drive in case it might cause data loss. How should I proceed?

    Joe
    Monday, February 9, 2009 7:14 PM

All replies

  • Joseph Harris said:

    I had to reinstall my WHS operating system. I have 3 drives: a 160GB internal SATA (system drive), a 300GB internal SATA drive and a 1.5TB external SATA drive. After reinstalling the OS, my console shows the 300GB is 'Not Added' and my Shared Folders window shows the status of most of my shares as "Failing". I have checked some of the smaller shares that are marked as failing, and I seem to be able to access all the files on them. It's been like this for several weeks, I've been afraid to try re-adding the 300GB drive in case it might cause data loss. How should I proceed?

    Joe



    Hi,

    Do you happen to have the toolkit installed on your server? If the toolkit is installed, please do the following:

    1.       Log into the Windows Home Server Console

    2.       Settings>Toolkit

    3.       Click on the Event Viewer button

    4.       Select “System”

    5.       Select “filter”> Uncheck “Information”,”Success Audit”, and “Warning”

    6.       Click apply>OK

    You may want to resize the window so you can view it easier.

    7.       Look for Event ID 55’s, Event ID 7’s or Event ID 26’s. 

    8.       Right click and select properties

    9.       Locate the bad disk or disks (a disk will read something like c:\fs\14)

    Report the data back in this thread.  If there are no bad disks, this may be another hardware error. Please report any other Controller or Disk Error Event ID's listed. Please be sure to include the details.

    Your other option is to shut down the server, remove the 300GB drive and attach it to a client machine.  Once you’ve done that, copy all the data in the \DE\shares folder. Note, you want the \DE\shares location . The DE is important.  This will not be all the data from your server but the data that was migrated to that particular drive. 

    Thank you


    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, February 9, 2009 9:01 PM
    Moderator
  • I installed the toolkit and the event viewer only shows some errors about PDF document printers and DCOM, nothing about any disks.

    The missing drive is accessible through the WHS via Remote Desktop. Can I copy the files from the 'missing' drive back into the shares with the 'missing' drive still connected to the server?

    Joe
    Monday, February 9, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Joseph Harris said:

    I installed the toolkit and the event viewer only shows some errors about PDF document printers and DCOM, nothing about any disks.

    The missing drive is accessible through the WHS via Remote Desktop. Can I copy the files from the 'missing' drive back into the shares with the 'missing' drive still connected to the server?

    Joe



    If you can RDP into the server and copy the files, then this also works.  I would suggest a bug with CABs but since there was a reinstall, the original logs are gone.

    Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, February 9, 2009 10:06 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Joseph,
    before adding the disk again to the storage pool (which would format the volume), check this FAQ, if you wish to backup data, which might still be there.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:13 PM
    Moderator
  • I removed the offending drive from the server and my data appears to be intact. However, I still have 'Network at Risk' alerts saying that it can't find several files. I checked on the shares and those files are all where they should be.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Hi Joseph,
    until you removed the drive via console, the error messages will stay. They will also stay, if after that removal the duplication cannot be reestablished due to limits of free disk space or if you have now dead tombstones, leading to nowhere for files, which have not been duplicated and were only on the removed disk.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, February 13, 2009 10:22 PM
    Moderator
  • I removed the drive from the console. Still have the same error 'The system cannot find the drive specified'. The files listed appear to be where they should be in my shares.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:10 AM
  • Joseph Harris said:

    I removed the drive from the console. Still have the same error 'The system cannot find the drive specified'. The files listed appear to be where they should be in my shares.



    Please copy the files referenced in the message to another location, like a client, and then try to delete them from the server using either explorer or if you receive an error in explorer, use the cmd prompt.

    The file conflicts FAQ post explains how to do that under the listing for "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation." I realize this is not the error you are receiving but the cmd is the same.

    Once you've removed the files, reboot the server and copy the files back.

    Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:57 AM
    Moderator