Kernel Stack Input Error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having difficulties with running One Care. Everytime it's time to backup and defragment my computer, about 3/4 of the way into defragmenting, my computer blacks out and displays a kernel stack input error and I have to manually shut off the computer. I have a Windows XP, Service Pack 2, that's about 5 years old. I think I have a corrupted file, but don't know what it is, or even where it is. Thank you for your time. Jon

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:07 PM

Answers

• I had never heard of the error before. I believe you are getting a Kernel Stack Inpage error, not "input".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315266

It could be any number of things wrong, including a boot sector virus, a failing drive, a failing drive controller, a bad or loose cable.

-steve

Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:09 AM

All replies

• Try to check your disk for error:

• Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check.
    • Click Properties, and then click Tools.
    • Under Error-checking, click Check Now.
    • Click Start.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:16 PM
  • I did exactly what you had suggested. The error checking was successful; however, when I tried to go through the defragmenting process again, I got that error (Kernel Stack Input) again.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:38 PM
  • Try doing that error checking again, but make sure that both options are checked before you click begin. You will probably need to accept the prompt to perform a scan at boot.

-steve

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:54 AM
  • I did everything that was instructed, but again, that error came up. One of my co-workers thinks that it might be in the OS. Any other suggestions? Thanks. Jon

Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:36 AM
  • I had never heard of the error before. I believe you are getting a Kernel Stack Inpage error, not "input".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315266

It could be any number of things wrong, including a boot sector virus, a failing drive, a failing drive controller, a bad or loose cable.

-steve

Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:09 AM