Cant view custom report RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm really struggling getting a custom report to work.

I've designed it using the Report designer in Visual Studio and it previews fine within there, the SQL is very simple

SELECT     accountidname, quotenumber, billto_line1, billto_line2, billto_line3, billto_city, billto_stateorprovince, billto_postalcode, contactidname,
                          new_contractinclusiontext, new_proformaorderconfirmationtext, new_vattext, new_termsandconditions
    FROM         FilteredQuote AS crmaf_filteredquote

When I save it and upload it into CRM the result is always the same when I run it:

Reporting Error - the report cannot be displayed.

In the event log the following 2 events are generated

Web service request SetParameters to Report Server http://cmlabs-vm4/ReportServer failed with SoapException. Error: The report parameter 'P1' is read-only and cannot be modified. (rsReadOnlyReportParameter)

Exception information:
        Exception type: CrmReportingException
        Exception message: The report parameter 'P1' is read-only and cannot be modified. (rsReadOnlyReportParameter)

Can anyone help? I'm not passing any parameters in our out of the SQL.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:28 PM

Answers

• I have the same problem in the same environment (SQL 2008 with R2), except that I have UR11. My situation:

All the built-in reports will operate with default filters quite happily. All report Wizard reports that I create will operate with default filters quite happily. All reports that I create in RS and then add into CRM, which do NOT have default filters will work quite happily.

All reports that I create in RS and add in to CRM, which have default filters, offer me the usual windows for default filtering, and then give the error 'The report parameter P2 is read-only and cannot be modified'.

Most of the other posts relating to this error suggest checking the report parameters on the BIDS side, but of course these parameters (which show up when you look at the reports in reportserver) aren't generated in BIDS, but by the CRM process.

I think this is one to raise with Microsoft.

Martin McGovern
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:16 AM

All replies

• Try to run and check the report from the report server. http://cmlabs-vm4/Reports

Also check whether right data source is pointed for the report (\4.0\MSCRM Datasource)

It is always advisory to use CRMAF_FilteredQuote (CRMAF_FilteredQuote.accountidname) for refering attributes while using prefilter

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Thanks for this,

If I go to http://cmlabs-vm4/Reports I can see one item called MyOrganisationName_MSCRM, if I go into that it just says

There are no items in MyOrganisationName_MSCRM. Click Help for more information about this page.

Is that a problem?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Within your organization MyOrganisationName_MSCRM click on the "show details" button on the right wing.

It will display a folder named 4.0 which contains all your organization reports.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:45 PM
  • Do you face the problem only for the particular report or for all the reports?
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Download the RDL definition of the report, and examine the XML-contents for the report parameters (or load the report back into your report designer and look for the report parameters there).  Remove all report parameters, save, and then upload the file back into CRM to replace the existing report.  See if that helps.  Read here for more about pre-filtering:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb955092.aspx

Personally, I always use explicit pre-filtering, because it always works the way its supposed to, and there are much fewer considerations or limitations with it.

Dave Berry
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:20 PM
  • Nice to meet you all, i faced the same problems, i created a simple report and even i upload the original Account Overview report and change the name, the errors will come. 

and found that it was just happened in one of the environment, W2k8 R2, SQL 2008 R2, (with Rollup 6, included RS Connector, Server)

i put report to another Virtual Machine,(w2k8, SQL 2008) it doesn't have any problems.

Is it related to Windows Updates or SQL updates in R2 ??

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Nice to meet you all, i faced the same problems, i created a simple report and even i upload the original Account Overview report and change the name, the errors will come. 

and found that it was just happened in one of the environment, W2k8 R2, SQL 2008 R2, (with Rollup 6, included RS Connector, Server)

i put report to another Virtual Machine,(w2k8, SQL 2008) it doesn't have any problems.

Is it related to Windows Updates or SQL updates in R2 ??

No one have any idea?
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Same problem here.
    Gael Fraiteur -- SharpCrafters
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:53 PM
  • I don't use SQL 2008 (though I really want to, but it's threads like this that keep me away from the upgrade), so I don't really have any other suggestions.  It's unclear if the original poster also used SQL 2008 R2, but if that's the difference between a working and non-working environment, it seems that it could be a compatibility issue between the products, and likely requires support from Microsoft.  I will be interested to see if any other forum members have information on this.
    Dave Berry
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:22 PM
  • The problem appeared after upgrading to SQL 2008 R2.

A workaround is to go to http://localhost/Reports and, manage the report, and set every parameter to "Prompt User". Do this for every subreport as well. This looks ugly in the report editor, but it works.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:52 PM
  • I have the same problem in the same environment (SQL 2008 with R2), except that I have UR11. My situation:

All the built-in reports will operate with default filters quite happily. All report Wizard reports that I create will operate with default filters quite happily. All reports that I create in RS and then add into CRM, which do NOT have default filters will work quite happily.

All reports that I create in RS and add in to CRM, which have default filters, offer me the usual windows for default filtering, and then give the error 'The report parameter P2 is read-only and cannot be modified'.

Most of the other posts relating to this error suggest checking the report parameters on the BIDS side, but of course these parameters (which show up when you look at the reports in reportserver) aren't generated in BIDS, but by the CRM process.

I think this is one to raise with Microsoft.

Martin McGovern
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:16 AM
  • Does anyone knows how to report bugs to the CRM team? I did not find.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Hi All,

I have the same problem in a 2008 R2 environment !!!!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:32 AM
  • I did raise this with Microsoft. they offered a workaround, which was to check the parameters for the report in report server (go to http://myreportserver/reports and then navigate through your CRM organisation to the offending report).

When I looked at the parameters, the ones called P1 and P2 show up - I didn't create them, so I assume that the process of putting the report into CRM did so. Anyway, the values of the three key parameters for a report with the error were

Has Default  - checked

Hide - blank

Prompt - clear

I was advised to change the Prompt parameter so that it was checked.

I did this, but from a CRM perspective, it isn't very satisfactory - the user sees a RS-style report parameter at the top of the report, which is redundant if you are using CRM prefiltering.

So I checked the Hide parameter as well. this was a satisfactory solution for me, since the user doesn't see the RS-style report parameter, and CRM prefiltering works.

Thanks to Gilles at Microsoft for this one - I hope it helps you too.

Martin

Martin McGovern
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Hi all,

Confirm what Martin said. Checking only the Hide parameters seems to agree with CRM.

I did however have to create a new parameter for the query instead of using CRMAF.

Monday, August 23, 2010 11:32 AM
  • For those still struggling with this issue:
    The good news is that Update Rollup 16 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 seems to address the issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2477743

To quote the notes, it says the following issue has  been resolved:
    Assume that you create a custom report in an instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2008.
    Additionally, the report contains the CRM pre-filtering criteria.
    When you run the report, you receive the following error message:
    Reporting Error. The report cannot be displayed
    Error Number: 0x80040494 Error Description: The report parameter 'P1' is read-only and cannot be modified. (rsReadOnlyReportParameter)
    Friday, March 18, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Hi

This is a change in behavior from SRS in 2008 R2. This is fixed in CRM 2011 and in UR 16. But if you want to correct it without installing the Rollup, you can go to the report properties in report manager and update the report parameters starting with CRM_ to make them hidden by checking the Hide checkbox and adding some Display Text if not present.

HTH, Thanks

Abhishek Agarwal MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by MDodd73 Monday, March 21, 2011 1:21 PM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Agreed, you can reference the following KB article for complete details:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2410593

--Dodd
    Monday, March 21, 2011 1:21 PM