Xbox 360 Backup? RRS feed

• General discussion

• For most purposes, you can re-download content from Xbox Live, but it would be handy to be able to backup content from an Xbox 360 (XBLA games, Xbox Live Video Marketplace, other Xbox Live content) to Windows Home Server.

This would especially be handy considering the limited 20GB hard disk drive on my Xbox 360.  One or two HD video downloads, and you are full.  Media Center is recommended instead of ripping MP3s locally to the Xbox 360 (and then having no place to store them).  What about those not having a hard disk on their 360?

I do have a media center PC, but that means yet another source of power drain for my electricity bill for ripping/streaming the content I already own (the 360 rips CDs fine). 

The 360 can rip, de-stream, etc. but the storage solution is not always convenient and a backup solution is lacking.  I think the Windows Home Server would be even better if it had a feature in this space.  It could be a tie-in to the 360.

Slightly off the original intent of this suggestion, but I think WHS could be an awesome way to manage Xbox 360 content downloaded or created via the 360 itself.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 7:00 PM

All replies

• this would be a very appealing thing to gamers who needed just one more reason to pickup WHS... i think its a great idea...
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 6:40 AM
  •  dpcrook wrote:

For most purposes, you can re-download content from Xbox Live, but it would be handy to be able to backup content from an Xbox 360 (XBLA games, Xbox Live Video Marketplace, other Xbox Live content) to Windows Home Server.

This would especially be handy considering the limited 20GB hard disk drive on my Xbox 360.  One or two HD video downloads, and you are full.  Media Center is recommended instead of ripping MP3s locally to the Xbox 360 (and then having no place to store them).  What about those not having a hard disk on their 360?

I do have a media center PC, but that means yet another source of power drain for my electricity bill for ripping/streaming the content I already own (the 360 rips CDs fine). 

The 360 can rip, de-stream, etc. but the storage solution is not always convenient and a backup solution is lacking.  I think the Windows Home Server would be even better if it had a feature in this space.  It could be a tie-in to the 360.

Slightly off the original intent of this suggestion, but I think WHS could be an awesome way to manage Xbox 360 content downloaded or created via the 360 itself.

While this is a cool idea, the legaleeze of having the xbox360 data avialible on another system could be a problem.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 6:20 PM
  • I was just about to post about this when I saw this post.   I too would like to have this option.   A backup of my saved games and Xbox games and stuff.    Possibly store the data from the Xbox360 encrypted.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Even if it didn't backup the XBlive Arcade titles, having the ability to backup your save games would be pretty sweet.
    Monday, March 5, 2007 12:45 PM
  • I posted a similar suggestion in Connect on this, vote here! :)

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=258390

-- Chris
    Monday, March 5, 2007 12:50 PM
  • I was about to make a similar suggestion for slightly different reasons.

In the past, games consoles have been pretty reliable as they have few moving parts. However, the next gen consoles (Wii aside) have introduced some built in unreliablitiy with the inclusion of hard drives. Given this then, as 360's get older then we will start to see hard disks expiring with lost game saves that have taken 100 of hours of gameplay to achieve. Moreover, there is a rumour of a new 360 with a  bigger hard disk so it's likely that MS will offer this as an upgrade for current 360's. If so, how do you copy everything over?

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:49 PM
  • I would say not just for backup but also be able to EXTEND the very very limited HD capabilities of the 360 onto WHS.  Especially for things like game trailers and downloadable movies - which quickly chew up our 20gb 360 drive.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 8:22 PM
  • I think it's a question of is this secure or not. If you backup data outside the Xbox, it's a possibility for hacking the Xbox or special viruses which breaks the Xbox can find a way onto the box. Thats maybe a very strange idea, but open the xbox with this you got a "direct" way to change data within the Xbox. I don't know, if Microsoft wants that. But it is a great idea at least.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 10:24 PM
  • Friday, March 9, 2007 5:03 PM
  • I love my 360 and cant wait for more to be intergrated into it. My first thing is getting a better system for viewing music like a itunes or even WM11, but I digress.

I would also like to add that Gates keynote last CES had him talking about total home media intergration, including IPTV, 360, WHS etc.

I can only imagine what has been brainstormed by Microsoft, but one thing is for sure, that WHS will be the backbone of things to come. Lets remember that this is version 1, and short of the bugs, I love it.

The most important thing to keep in mind is having your home infrastructure in place. A good server which meets more than the minimums, solid wiring and a good router. This way as version 2 comes out, we should be good to go.

Dawg.

"I think im getting off topic" Ha.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:15 AM
  • What about using something like a bit-locker partition onto which this data could be copied/stored/backed up? If the encryption keys weren't generally, available, you could then backup/copy the contents of the 360's drive and obviate concerns about making the data "available on an alternate machine".

I'd love to see the WHS server be able to use it's drive stores to extend the functionality of the 360 in this fashion!

-Brett

Edit: Yes, I know that bit-locker technology isn't native in the x86 Windows Server stream, but my understanding is that MS owns the technology outright, so I'm basically assuming that it, or something like it, could be implemented for a function such as this...

Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:33 AM
  • Just yesterday my son turned on our xbox 360 and it said the HD needed to be formatted before it could be used. We lost everything on the 360 HD. The worst thing was the game progress for all of our games. Every saved game is now gone. Hundreds of hours of play time lost. I'm not a hard-core gamer so it's not a huge deal for me but I have 4 boys. Two of them teenagers. I got an earfull all night. I really wish we could back-up that data on our home servers!!
    Friday, March 23, 2007 11:44 AM
  • Excellent Example!

Dawg.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 12:44 AM

• This is something that must be addressed before microsoft seriously expects us to start paying for HD movies to download onto the 360.  I won't pay for a single movie if I can't back it up in case of a dead HDD in my 360. 
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 8:53 PM
  • I'll note two things:
    1. Most movies you can get from Xbox Live are rentals, I believe. If you lose it after you've watched it, well, it was going to go away anyway.
    2. Most movies cost more than your cable company's "video on demand" offerings.
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 9:16 PM
  • 3. Most movies are older than your cable company's "video on demand" offerings (at least here in the UK!).

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:07 AM
  • Ultimately I want XBox Video MarketPlace on Media Center.  I consider Media Center a whole home solution, where content can be played anywhere.  And with Media Center, it already can be backed up to WHS.

Monday, January 14, 2008 8:10 PM
  • I don't think you can download HD movies from Xbox Live to "own" them, you can only rent them.  So there is no need to back them up...

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:12 AM
  • i think it would be a good idea to be able to have WHS back up your game saves and downloaded content for games.  Arcade games and movies etc would be an issue due to DRM / Copyright stuff.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 6:00 PM
  • For a software company to not provide a backup method is unbelievable.  Hard drives die.  My son will be to the point he won't play it again.  It has happened with other systems.  At that point we will move to Sony along with everyone else who experiences this.  I would love to have been in the room when this decision was made.  I know, let's wait until we have hundereds of upset customers to make this simple change.  As a Six Sigma professional, this speaks volumes about management. 

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:12 PM
  •  tllankford wrote:
    For a software company to not provide a backup method is unbelievable.  Hard drives die.  My son will be to the point he won't play it again.  It has happened with other systems.  At that point we will move to Sony along with everyone else who experiences this.  I would love to have been in the room when this decision was made.  I know, let's wait until we have hundereds of upset customers to make this simple change.  As a Six Sigma professional, this speaks volumes about management. 

Xbox 360 is not a computer operating system, and therefore isnt currently part of the supported WHS backup regime. That is not to say that I dont understand why you want backups of your 360 data or think that it would be good to be able to do it. Have you made this suggestion on Microsoft Connect or checked to see if someone else has suggested it so that you can vote on it. If enough people want it, it may appear in WHS V2.

As for your comment about Sony, its not really a fair comparison. Sony doesnt have a desktop or server operating system for the home that backs up PS3 so if you dump Microsoft and move to Sony because WHS doesnt backup your Xbox 360 how are you actually any better off?

People need to remember that this is a Version 1 release, not everything everyone could possibly want or need could be included in the product - apart from the huge additional costs in developement and time, how would Microsoft know exactly what people want unless they tell them (hence why MS Connect is there for people to request and vote on new features for the next version). As I said, if enough people want it, then maybe it will appear. This is not just an issue with WHS or with Microsoft, this is any company with any product.

Andrew

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:05 PM
  • That's not exactly an accurate statement, Andrew.

The Sony PS3 is easily backed up using an external hard drive connected to the USB port of the PS3.

(The only limitation is that the drive must be formatted FAT32, not NTFS)

At least Sony had the fore-sight to address this issue before releasing their product.

Now, according to XBox Support, I need about 20(!) memory units in order to back up the entire content of my HD on my xbox 360 . . . at $50 each.

Now THAT is an unreasonable solution!

To answer your question, we are better off simply because we can back up our PS3 systems using a reasonable method.

As far as I can tell, this IS an issue with Microsoft . . . because Sony has it covered.

Thanks for listening!

/David C.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:23 AM
  • Well said,

I can't believe I'm saying this because in the past Sony was one of the worst about allowing you to alter their equipment, but now with their PS3's they allow you to replace the HD's with ease.  XBox 360's are a nightmare if you dare even try it, because if you ever have a problem support will just say you have a modded xbox and deny you any support.  Plus the fact that Sony doesn't have any home server software just makes Microsoft look even worse.  Sony is willing to allow their devices to attach to WHS (from the looks of things) but Microsoft isn't even considering it!  Is Microsoft too busy dealing with lost revenue from repairing the Red Rings of Death to work on pleasing customers and integrating all of their components?  Looks to me like Sony is leading the way and Microsoft is trying to catch up, and slowing Sony down by not opening up WHS to their already willing PS3? 
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:21 PM