Sony Bravia KDL-37W5500 to connect to homeserver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    after a recent TV explosion ... I had to replace my TV quite quickly as Aunty SOny, wasn't able to do the baby minding, anyway... I bought a Sony KDL-37W5500, and tomy surprise found it had a network cable and was DNLA enabled.

I can get it to "see" my home server in the diagnostics, but, when I try and connect to the homeserver it notes that the connection failed in the diagnostics.  Server not compatible, is the error message., I have UPNP enabled on my router and on my homeserver ... is there anything else I am meant to do to get this to work?   
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:51 PM

Answers

• If your TV can't be configured to use your server as a network storage device, you can try one of the third-party tools, such as TwonkyMedia. Configuring those tools can be complicated; your best bet in that case would be to consult the vendor of the tool for assistance.

There's no Windows Home Server add-in that would add DLNA support, though.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Stuart Aston Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:27 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server doesn't support DLNA, so you won't get DLNA-specific functionality to work. But I believe that your TV can be configured to look to your server as a network storage device. Consult the owner's manual for your TV for more details...
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Windows Home Server doesn't support DLNA, so you won't get DLNA-specific functionality to work. But I believe that your TV can be configured to look to your server as a network storage device. Consult the owner's manual for your TV for more details...

Hi Ken there is nothing specific in the owners manual about enabling it to look for a network storage device.  Is there anything that can be added to WHS to make it DNLA compliant? 
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 5:10 PM
  • If your TV can't be configured to use your server as a network storage device, you can try one of the third-party tools, such as TwonkyMedia. Configuring those tools can be complicated; your best bet in that case would be to consult the vendor of the tool for assistance.

There's no Windows Home Server add-in that would add DLNA support, though.

• Marked as answer by Stuart Aston Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:27 PM