Setup was unable to verify that the sqlserver agent (sqlserveragent) was running/ The sqlserver '{0}' is unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

When trying to start the upgrade to CRM4.0, during the system requirments setup i do get the following errors:

Errors on check:

• Setup was unable to verify that the sqlserver agent (sqlserveragent) was running
    • The sqlserver '{0}' is unavailable
    • Cannot open Service Control Manager on computer 'sqlserver server name'. this operation might require other priviliges. Access denied
    in the setup.log the following output:

Calling BaseGroup.Validate
    11:39:15|Warning| Check SqlServerAgentValidator : Warning: Setup was unable to verify that SQL Server Agent (SQLSERVERAGENT) was running.
    11:39:15|   Info| Check SqlInstanceNameValidator: Success
    11:39:15|  Error| Check CrmSqlDomainValidator : Failure: The SQL Server '{0}' is unavailable.
    11:39:15|   Info| Check SqlServerValidator: Success
    11:39:15|   Info| Check SysAdminValidator: Success
    11:39:15|   Info| Check WordBreakerValidator: Success
    11:39:15|   Info| Check FullTextInstalledValidator: Success
    11:39:15|  Error| Check FullTextRunningValidator : Failure: Cannot open Service Control Manager on computer 'W2K3RHSSQL4'. This operation might require other privileges.
    Access is denied

according to the help i have to chek the following (did the check and all are correct: permissions, running services etc..)

• Setup Cannot Verify that the SQLSERVERAGENT Service Is Running on the Specified Computer

Cause

The causes of this error message are as follows:

The user who is running Setup does not have local administrator permissions for the computer on which Microsoft SQL Server is running.

The SQLSERVERAGENT service is not running on the specified computer where SQL Server is running.

• Setup Cannot Verify That the SQL Server Full-Text Search Service Is Running

Cause

Setup cannot verify that the Microsoft SQL Server Full-Text Search service is running. This service is required for searching articles in the knowledge base in Microsoft Dynamics CRM. The service is named SQL Server FullText Search (MSSQLSERVER).

This issue can occur when either, or both, of the following situations are true:The SQL Server Full-Text Search service is not running on the specified computer.

You do not have the needed permissions for the specified computer.

Install user is domain admin.
    Checked also priviliges in AD via: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946677
    All mentioned privilges are set correct in AD...

Can someone push me in the right direction?

UPDATE: user i try to update with is called crmadmin, as soon as i log on as administrator the system requirments setup does give me the "green light" with no errors.

crmadmin does have the same priviliges and is member of all the groups crmadmin is  in. I tried to remove and the rejoin all the meberships, but that does not help.

Can someone tell me if  i can run into problems when i update CRM with another user then "my crmadmin"? or push me in the right direction to solve the mentioned errors..
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Confirm that SQL Server Agent service and Full Text is installed?  If not enable it.

What is your enviornment setup?  Is all the servers install on one machine?

Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
    http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm
    http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:21 AM
  • We were getting this also:

12:53:19|Verbose| Calling BaseGroup.Validate

12:53:40|Warning| Check SqlServerAgentValidator : Warning: Setup was unable to verify that SQL Server Agent (SqlAgent$corningnc002) was running.

12:53:45|   Info| Check SqlInstanceNameValidator: Success

12:53:45|  Error| Check CrmSqlDomainValidator : Failure: The SQL Server '{0}' is unavailable.

12:53:54|   Info| Check SqlServerValidator: Success

12:53:54|   Info| Check SysAdminValidator: Success

12:53:54|   Info| Check WordBreakerValidator: Success

12:53:54|   Info| Check FullTextInstalledValidator: Success

12:54:15|  Error| Check FullTextRunningValidator : Failure: Cannot open Service Control Manager on computer 'corningnc002'. This operation might require other privileges.

The RPC server is unavailable

Environment:

CRM 4.0 x64 on W2k3 SP2 x64

CRM server on front-end VLAN with SQL 2005 SP2 cluster w/ named instances on back-end VLAN

32-bit and 64-bit aliases in place on CRM server for port used other than default SQL 1433

Resolution:

Port 445 TCP (Microsoft Directory Services) needed to be opened at the firewall from front-end to back-end VLANs. Used "netstat -n" to verify established active connection to SQL instance. Not sure why Microsoft has not documented this port requirement as an installation requirement.

Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by Sun - AKL, NZ Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:37 AM
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:13 PM