none
WHS Subdomain service not working RRS feed

• Question

• Screenshot

I am having a very weird problem with the WHS sub domain service, and I have a feeling it has something to do with either my router configuration or OpenDNS.  As you can see in the screenshot, Remote access should be working perfectly according to all the WHS diagnostic tests.  But when I try to use the subdomain on my local network I get an OpenDNS "This webpage is not available" error.

Interestingly enough, when I log in on a network *outside* my home network, the subdomain and remote access work perfectly.  I can also "ping" the subdomain and it resolves it to an IP address.

Does anyone have any insight into these problems?

Sunday, March 25, 2012 6:37 PM

All replies

• This is more likely to be a router issue; your router probably doesn't support loopback connections. Since it works from outside your premises, don't worry about it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Well, I'm trying to set up an FTP server so I can access the eBooks on my WHS via my iPhone and iPad.  A lot of the time, I'm at home reading my eBooks so I would need to use the subdomain on my local network as well.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:21 PM
  • At home, you can simply access the files from the shares, or you can access your server's remote access site via it's NetBIOS name, rather than the subdomain.

I would, by the way, recommend rather strongly against FTP; it's not a secure protocol.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:06 AM