MS Sync Framework RRS feed

• Question

• I've just gotten involved with the Sync intiatives today and i'm a little confused.  I want to use this to develop smart device (Windows Mobile 5 apps) that can gracefully background sync if connected or work locally if not connected.  I'm using RDA Pull and a Web service now in my existing app.

Designing the next version and was looking into the Sync Services that came with VS2008 but now see the CTP version of the Sync Framework and had the following questions:

1. When will there be a Sync Framework that my company could actually use and incorporate into software we sell?

2. Can we use the CTP version of the MS Sync Framework now and actually include it in products we sell?

3. Installing the CTP version of the MS Sync Framework - will it mess up the Sync Services included in VS2008?

4. My implementation will be mobile devices - does the VS2008 Sync services handle sync data for them now? or do I need to start working with the MS Sync Framework CTP version?

TIA

Harry

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 9:13 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:43 PM

All replies

• 1.  We have not announced the RTW date for the Microsoft Sync Framework yet.  When we do announce this date publically, we will do so on our msdn site @ msdn.com/sync.

2.  This is a community technology preview and with that said, we cannot make any guarantees around API changes, feature cuts, behavior changes, etc. between now and when we RTW.  Furthermore, I believe that the licensing bars you from using this CTP for resale and/or production environments if I am not mistaken.  I will follow up to verify and post here with my findings.  What is precluding you from using Sync Services for ADO.NET v1 which shipped with VS 2008? 

3.  Device support will be released in the first quarter of 2008.  We are working hard on them and are highly motivated to release these bits as we have a large number of customers who have requested them. 

-Sean

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:30 AM
  • Sean is correct on #2 as the EULA states "Because this software is “as is,” we may not provide support services for it." which means it would be somewhat dangerous for you to have a public release in the even we were not able to fix a problem in a timely manner.  I am also not sure if there is anything precluding you from shipping the product, but I will check into that as well. 

I think Sean may have missed answering your third question.  Installing the CTP version of the MS Sync Framework should not mess up the Sync Services included in VS2008 and the two should be able to be installed together.

Liam

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:53 PM