Upgrade to Sync Framework 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing an ap using Sync Framework 1.0 AND Sync Services for ADO.Net 2.0.

If I upgrade to Sync Framework 2.0, will that upgrade both of those programs?
    Should I uninstall both before upgrading?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Reese,

As Lech said, Sync Framework 1.0 and 2.0 are operation side-by-side. Which means that you can have the 1.0 instance and 2.0 instance both installed on the machine and your application which was built with 1.0 would still continue to run even if 2.0 was installed. Of course it would continue to use 1.0 if you have specified so in your app.config for a managed app.
    And in the above statement when I mean Sync Framework 1.0 or 2.0 - it means both the Runtime 1.0 and Sync Services for ADO.net 2.0

But yes, if you are interested in just upgrading and using the latest bits, then you can uninstall (both) the components you see in the Add Remove programs, install the new ones and your app should work fine. Again if you are using native bits, then the GUIDs have been revved so you would need to recomile.

Also I assume this is your test system and I am sure you know that the best practice is always to run tests/process on test systems before you apply them to production system.

Mahesh
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, November 23, 2009 12:16 AM

All replies

• Hey,
    Sync Framework 2.0 is able to run side by side with Sync Framework 1.0, so your v2.0 installation shouldn't affect neither your v1.0 installation or your code.

Thanks,
    Lech
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Lech,

Thanks for the response, but that didn't totally answer my question.  I guess I wasn't clear.

When I open "Add Remove Programs" in Windows XP, I see two programs listed:

1) Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0
    2) Microsoft Sync Services for ADO.Net v2.0

I believe that the first is a more general framwork and the 2nd has to do with synching specific to ADO.Net.  But I'm not sure exactly how they integrate or which pieces of my application uses one versus the other.  So, I'd like to upgrade to the latest version(s), but I'm afraid of what my break when I do that.

In light of that, here are my questions:

Is it best practice to uninstall 1.0 before upgrading?
    Will my current code run okay in Sync Framework 2.0?

Thanks,

Reese
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Hi Reese,

As Lech said, Sync Framework 1.0 and 2.0 are operation side-by-side. Which means that you can have the 1.0 instance and 2.0 instance both installed on the machine and your application which was built with 1.0 would still continue to run even if 2.0 was installed. Of course it would continue to use 1.0 if you have specified so in your app.config for a managed app.
    And in the above statement when I mean Sync Framework 1.0 or 2.0 - it means both the Runtime 1.0 and Sync Services for ADO.net 2.0

But yes, if you are interested in just upgrading and using the latest bits, then you can uninstall (both) the components you see in the Add Remove programs, install the new ones and your app should work fine. Again if you are using native bits, then the GUIDs have been revved so you would need to recomile.

Also I assume this is your test system and I am sure you know that the best practice is always to run tests/process on test systems before you apply them to production system.

Mahesh
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, November 23, 2009 12:16 AM