WHS V1 sp2 pp3 : cloning system disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is the structure on my actual WHS v1 sp2 PP3 :

[img]http://montaleigne.free.fr/PC(s)_JM/WHS/WD20EARS_sur_WHS/image_8.jpg[/img]

nb: Since this sreenshot, I changed the disk2 for an 2to)

Near my WHS, I have actually these 5 CD/DVD :

WHS rc Home computer restore CD (2007)
    WHS rc connector cd software (2007)
    WHS Home computer restore CD (2010)
    WHS sp1 Home computer restore CD(2009)
    WHS rc install DVD (2007)

sp2 , then pp3, come from live updates, I have no CD or DVD of sp2 and pp3

Question:

Now, to reinstall my WHS sp2 pp3 exactly like it is actually:

->What must I do ? :

-> Can I clone exactly the system disk and keep it in safe place for eventual reinstall on a new system disk after crash ?

If YES,

-> What tool can I use ?

Thanks for any help !

Nb : if this exact subject is on another thread, can you give me the link ? Thanks :-)

Jean-Max
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:09 AM

All replies

• Cloning isn't supported by Microsoft for any Windows operating system. In the case of Windows Home Server, information about other disks in the system, and about the shares, is stored on the system disk, so cloning only the system disk almost certainly will result in severe issues if you try to restore the image at a later date.

The only supported recovery method for a system disk failure is server reinstallation. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:42 AM

•  Cloning isn't supported by Microsoft for any Windows operating system. In the case of Windows Home Server, information about other disks in the system, and about the shares, is stored on the system disk, so cloning only the system disk almost certainly will result in severe issues if you try to restore the image at a later date.

The only supported recovery method for a system disk failure is server reinstallation.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply :-)

-> How can-I reinstall WHS v1 SP2 PP3, since I have only the initial install DVD of WHS v1 RC downloaded in 2007 from MS, after my purchase ?

-> Must I download now, a new WHS v1 Install DVD, updated sp2 pp3 ?
    -> If YES, where can-I find that ?

nb : Actually, my IDE system disk is OK, but in case of crash, I want to know what I will be obliged to do !

Thank for all !

BR from France

Jean-Max
    Friday, June 17, 2011 6:41 AM
  • -> How can-I reinstall WHS v1 SP2 PP3, since I have only the initial install DVD of WHS v1 RC downloaded in 2007 from MS, after my purchase ?

nb : Actually, my IDE system disk is OK, but in case of crash, I want to know what I will be obliged to do !

I doubt you have RC code; it would have expired several years ago. If you do have RC code running, you have illegal (hacked) software. Also, if you downloaded it from any source other than Microsoft's Technet or MSDN, your software's legality is questionable. Microsoft has never, to my knowledge, distributed full, unrestricted Windows Home Server directly as a download other than from those two sites.

Assuming you have legal software (downloaded from MSDN or Technet once it was available, which was sometime in 2008 I think), you will boot from whatever media you used to install originally, go through the reinstallation (documented repeatedly both here and in the software forum, and on many blogs over the years), and then apply all available updates through the console.

Friday, June 17, 2011 6:33 PM
  • -> How can-I reinstall WHS v1 SP2 PP3, since I have only the initial install DVD of WHS v1 RC downloaded in 2007 from MS, after my purchase ?

I doubt you have RC code; it would have expired several years ago. If you do have RC code running, you have illegal (hacked) software. Also, if you downloaded it from any source other than Microsoft's Technet or MSDN, your software's legality is questionable. Microsoft has never, to my knowledge, distributed full, unrestricted Windows Home Server directly as a download other than from those two sites.

Assuming you have legal software (downloaded from MSDN or Technet once it was available, which was sometime in 2008 I think), you will boot from whatever media you used to install originally, go through the reinstallation (documented repeatedly both here and in the software forum, and on many blogs over the years), and then apply all available updates through the console.

Hi Ken,

I am totally legal and my RC DVD comes from the time when I subscribed in June 2007 to Microsoft Connect and tested the early WHS RC version for  Windows Home Server Team
    At this time, I sent to MS many info about bugs I founded in my tests

Then, I officially purchased the WHS official version:
    I founded yesterday my official WHS oem package bought 183,89 Euro and received on 16 nov 2007
    (1 "WHS Install" DVD + 1 "WHS connector" CD + 1 "PC restaur" CD + 1 "oem WHS pre-install" CD)

I am on this forum from 7 dec 2007 and after my 111 posts here, you think I have an illegal WHS version ?
    It's quite insulting for me :-(

You write :
    "you will boot from whatever media you used to install originally, go through the reinstallation (documented repeatedly both here and in the software forum, and on many blogs over the years), and then apply all available updates through the console."

OK, so, if problem, I will reinstall WHS system disk from my 2007 WHS official DVD,  then I will update to sp2 pp3

Jean-Max

Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:32 AM
  • ... OK, so, if problem, I will reinstall WHS system disk from my 2007 WHS official DVD, then I will update to sp2 pp3
    Yes. This will take a long time. :)
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 11:57 AM
  • ... OK, so, if problem, I will reinstall WHS system disk from my 2007 WHS official DVD, then I will update to sp2 pp3

It's a pity that MS doesn't allow officially registered users of WHS v1 initial version, to download free of charge an ISO image of the last WHS v1 version (sp2 pp3)..

So much wasted time for the user, to try to return, after crash, to the last version used ..

Jean-Max
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 12:09 PM
  • See

http://breakinghomeserver.com/2010/01/09/xfiles-edition-server-installation-v1-5-5/

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

... OK, so, if problem, I will reinstall WHS system disk from my 2007 WHS official DVD, then I will update to sp2 pp3

It's a pity that MS doesn't allow officially registered users of WHS v1 initial version, to download free of charge an ISO image of the last WHS v1 version (sp2 pp3)..

So much wasted time for the user, to try to return, after crash, to the last version used ..

Jean-Max

BullDawg
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:21 PM
  • I don't recommend x-files unless there's no other way, to be honest. In this case, there is another way. And honestly, I don't even know if Jean-Max's original product code will work with the media that drashna started with for that download.

Better to stick with what you know will work, unless you have time to mess around a lot if things go south.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Cloning isn't supported by Microsoft for any Windows operating system. In the case of Windows Home Server, information about other disks in the system, and about the shares, is stored on the system disk, so cloning only the system disk almost certainly will result in severe issues if you try to restore the image at a later date.

OK if image is restored after a while

But...

-> What about, if image is restored IMMEDIATELY after cloning ? :

It can be a prudent idea to clone before crash a system disk aged more than 5 years, with some read/write errors...

About X-File idea:

With XP, I used integration method founded on the net, for  SP2 then SP3, inside the XP Install boot CD :

I never had any problem to install PC(s)...

Jean-Max
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Restoring immediately after you clone your disk will almost certainly work. "Immediately", in this case, is between finishing the clone of your system disk and the next pass that DE makes through your shares. The longer you wait, the more chance that there will have been changes that will cause problems when you restore. How long will it take? I couldn't tell you, to be honest. Certainly adding/removing shares, adding/removing users, changing users' permissions, etc. will cause problems post-restore; I've tested that. Other things may; my testing was just enough to determine that this is a Really Bad Idea™. :)

As for the x-files edition, I don't know what media Drashna started with for the current download. If it was post-PP1, PP1 was integrated by Microsoft, and the product key you have might not work any more. (I'm not saying "won't", just "not worth the hassle if it doesn't".) If your product key doesn't work, you might have to go through phone activation, which is a pain in the tuchus at the best of times. But the SP integration you did with XP is conceptually identical to what Drashna did.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Ken,

It worked with my v1 pre pp1 key, however, I can't guarantee it will work with all.  Also, my copy of the x-files was obtained when the direct download was available, not through torrents.

In my case, I used it because no matter what I did, I could not get the original media (nor the TechNet pp1 download) to recognize my add in Sata cards, thus a server reinstallation was never offered.  X-files did and the Sata cards were recognized and server reinstallation was offered.  The install activated successfully.

I wish I knew why MS is reluctant to put up the pp3, even for TechNet and MSDN.

Thankfully, WHS 2011 makes it much easier to add drivers during the install process.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I don't recommend x-files unless there's no other way, to be honest. In this case, there*is* another way. And honestly, I don't even know if Jean-Max's original product code will work with the media that drashna started with for that download.

Better to stick with what you know will work, unless you have time to mess around a lot if things go south.

BullDawg
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 11:37 PM
  • You post a lot, but you never provide any real solutions.  Perhaps you should stop posting and let people that know something do the posting.
    Friday, April 6, 2012 7:05 PM
  • You post a lot, but you never provide any real solutions.  Perhaps you should stop posting and let people that know something do the posting.

Hmm. What a strange comment!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, April 6, 2012 9:28 PM

Hmm. What a strange comment!

Phil

Especially on a thread 10 months old!

BullDawg

Saturday, April 7, 2012 9:19 AM
  • My 2 pence worth.

I tried the 'x files' version but in the end because I wasn't 100% "in control" of what had been altered from MS I decided not to risk my valuable data...it's too precious just to save some time.

I did have to reinstall and yes it did take a long time to reapply the patches and then add back users and computers....BUT it was worth it to know I was legal, supported and in control.

I have now created a DOS batch file (I'm no expert) to create my folder structure and copy some shortcuts but if I have to reinstall again....I will always play safe with my data that is going to sit on WHS.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:44 PM
  • I also meant to add I did also try a bare metal Symantec Ghost image and reinstall.....don't bother.

Too many issues for me and I do know Ghost very well for non-server OS's

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:48 PM