Tape drive backup. RRS feed

• Question

• I have come under the possession of an IBM 3583 library.  I have a scsi card installed and the library installed with the atape drivers from IBM.  I loaded Backup Exec 9.1 to back up the shares. However i have tried to back up via the unc name and the d:\shares path.  Neither works.  I really just want to use the as a dr type thingy.  I tried to get ntbackup running with the library, but frankly it sux.  Refuses to play with the tapes.  Anyone have suggestions? BTW (the cost of the library was free... a lot cheaper than an external disk Smile )

Thanks

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:18 PM

Answers

• You can't use traditional backup tools to back up Windows Home Server, because of the way Drive Extender works with reparse points. At best, to get a good backup you would need to take a full image of your server (all disks, including those mounted under C:\FS) at a point in time, not back up a limited set of files and folders.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:03 PM
  • Because most backup tools, for whatever reason, can't deal with the way Windows Home Server uses NTFS reparse points/sparse files as "tombstones". All they get is the tombstone itself.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:43 PM

All replies

• You can't use traditional backup tools to back up Windows Home Server, because of the way Drive Extender works with reparse points. At best, to get a good backup you would need to take a full image of your server (all disks, including those mounted under C:\FS) at a point in time, not back up a limited set of files and folders.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:03 PM
  • I dont want to save off the backups.... just the shares.  How could i do that?

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:46 AM
  • The only chance you have of getting a good backup of your shares using a traditional backup tool like NTBackup, Bachup Exec, etc. is to back up the entire server at once (C:, D:, and all secondary drives in the storage pool). Windows Home Server mounts the storage pool drives in the file system, then uses what the WHS team calls "tombstones" (reparse points/sparse files) in the shares to point to the actual files. And even if you back up the entire server at once, you might not be able to restore it successfully later.

If you only want the shares, you get an external drive and copy from the shares (i.e. \\server\Public) to the external drive. Right now that is a manual process and can't be done through the WHS Console application; when the pending update (called Power Pack 1) is released, it will include tools that let you do it in the console.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:27 PM
  •  

I guess this is a little old, but I don't understand...

If I connect to the server...I can easily copy the data from the shares...and the file is whole...

Why couldn't I backup the shares remotely? or by connectiong to \\servername\share and back it up?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:23 PM
  • Because most backup tools, for whatever reason, can't deal with the way Windows Home Server uses NTFS reparse points/sparse files as "tombstones". All they get is the tombstone itself.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:43 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Because most backup tools, for whatever reason, can't deal with the way Windows Home Server uses NTFS reparse points/sparse files as "tombstones". All they get is the tombstone itself.

To re-quote you Ken, you say ... "most backup tools, for whatever reason" ... but I can sense the bewilderment in JOldendick's question, which I respectfully suggest might be answered more fully.

This is how I see it, and I welcome any corrections ...

Of course we can copy the contents from our shares back out to a connected PC, and we could even (though it's unsupported) copy the contents from our shared folders across different drives within or attached to the WHS box, provided we do so with only file-level utilities like the ones I list below, and provided we use a UNC style source path.

But - until WHS PP1 arrives - we cannot copy or backup or restore the entire "Shared Folder" structure while retaining its carefully managed NTFS privileges and special behaviour.

And even after PP1 has arrived, it's probable that - for reasons given by Ken above - we'll never be able to use a backup tool that goes 'lower' than NTFS file level (e.g. using lower-level API calls as Backup Exec very likely does), but then, we won't need to, because the anticipated new 'WHS backup' feature will make it unnecessary.

Here are example tools that (I contend) would happily copy our files to and from our WHS Shares (but not the Shares themselves):

and many others I'm sure.

Respectfully yours,

Colin P.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:39 AM
  • The reasons have to do with how most high-performance backup utilities work and the somewhat unusual way WHS uses sparse files. I'm not going to write that particular tome. Smile Suffice it to say, a simple file copy will work fine, where NTBackup, Backup Exec, ArcServe, etc. won't.

I don't know what the results on explicit permissions will be with the backup tool in PP1. I'll add it to my "to do" list.
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:42 PM