how to restore or change password in earlier version of microsoft money 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I've purchased a new PC and wanted to update financial program--Since microsoft money is no longer supported I had to purchase Quicken. I followed all the steps to transfer files even downloaded money plus 2008 so they would convert.  it didn't work. Contacted Quicken support and after 4 hours of effort they are reimbursing me for the product. But after uninstalling Quicken and Money Plus , and reinstalling money 2006, my password isn't accepted., so I am unable to use the money program. So I tried reinstalling money plus 2008 trial version, and it does work but when  try and purchase it , the version offered is Sunset , and that won't work for my purposes. Please help as tax time is here and I'm desperately needing my records.  Thanks,    Tom Gemmell
    gemtm@hotmail.com

1 Person had
    this question         

Saturday, February 4, 2012 3:53 PM

All replies

• I've purchased a new PC and wanted to update financial program--Since microsoft money is no longer supported I had to purchase Quicken. I followed all the steps to transfer files even downloaded money plus 2008 so they would convert.  it didn't work. Contacted Quicken support and after 4 hours of effort they are reimbursing me for the product. But after uninstalling Quicken and Money Plus , and reinstalling money 2006, my password isn't accepted., so I am unable to use the money program. So I tried reinstalling money plus 2008 trial version, and it does work but when  try and purchase it , the version offered is Sunset , and that won't work for my purposes. Please help as tax time is here and I'm desperately needing my records. 

You said "it didn't work. " Is this a failure to get into your file due to a password or LiveID not being accepted? If something else, what was the actual error message or indication of not working.

You later said " the version offered is Sunset , and that won't work for my purposes."  Only Money Plus (including Sunset) or Money 2007 will help you convert to Quicken. You can install Sunset via the link in the sticky first post in this forum. It is free.  Install that. If it does not meet your needs, what is  the actual error message or indication of not meeting your needs?

Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Like Cal, I don't understand what you are saying.  Money Sunset is Money Plus (2008) except that it does not require authorization.  So what do you mean the Sunset won't work for your purposes.  If the trial works for you, Sunset will work the same way.
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 9:05 PM
  • what didn't work was my password for money 2006, it isn't opening the files in my older version.  When I looked at Sunset, it says it won't download online quotes. Does that mean financial data for stocks won't be updated?  Thanks
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 11:24 PM
  • what didn't work was my password for money 2006, it isn't opening the files in my older version.  When I looked at Sunset, it says it won't download online quotes. Does that mean financial data for stocks won't be updated?  Thanks

Sunset will not download quotes on its own, as you observed. You can restore some of that functionality with PocketSense. In particular, you can get statement download from many brokers and credit cards. http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/cal-learners-review-fidelity-401k-citi-card-and-vanguard-account-info/ is a good place to find which financial institutions work well this way. Downloading online quotes is not needed to work on your 2011 taxes. So your interest in Money may be expanding from your initial description.

Sunset will let you convert to Quicken. That objective was in your initial description. Quicken would do its own quote fetching.

If you can install Money 2006, then there may be some functions remaining that are not in Sunset. However your conversion to Sunset would have modified your*.mny file, and that *.mny file could not be opened by Money 2006. An attempt to do so may have given a bogus password error.  At that time, a backup of your existing Money 2006 file would have been saved as *.m15  ... If you copy your *.m15 file to tom06.mny, Money 2006 could open  tom06.mny. Money 2006 will not let you convert to Quicken; you would need Sunset for that.... but you could convert to Quicken, uninstall Sunset, Install Money 2006, open  tom06.mny, and run both Quicken and Money 2006 concurrently.

Saturday, February 4, 2012 11:43 PM