3 xp's - can't clear false 'at risk' in circle RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 XP computers in my circle, all hubs.  pc1 says pc2 is at risk: "urgent, turn on firewall" and "install missing updates".  pc2's firewall is 'on' and it has all updates installed, both from MSUpdate and OneCare.  pc 2 says its status is 'good', pc1 says 'at risk'.  I can't clear these false warnings from pc1.  Tried re-booting everything, updating both pc1 & pc2, tried to remove pc2 from the circle (my only clickable option) on pc1, and get "an error is preventing onecare from performing this action', so the false 'at risk' cannot be cleared from pc1.  pc1 shows 'last contact' with pc2 was about six hours ago, probably about the time pc2 was running onecare tuneup, and about how long I have been trying to fix this problem.

How do I clear these false warnings from pc1 and get on with my life?

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 9:39 AM

Answers

• Try shutting down all computers, then start them one at a time. If you still have incorrect status reports please contact support.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:03 PM

All replies

• Try shutting down all computers, then start them one at a time. If you still have incorrect status reports please contact support.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:03 PM
  • It would appear that the computers are either not communicating their status to the back end servers and then back to your Hub PC or you have a mix of beta and production installs on your PCs and they are not actually on the same Circle/Subscription.

-steve

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:45 AM
  • I know I am resurrecting an old post, but here it is July 2008 and I have this problem as well.  Here is my scenario.
    All three PC's {Vista PC, XP SP3 PC & XP SP3} were green.  I shut down all three and started up all three.  The two XP's came up first and showed green.  During the Vista boot I got a red message from it firewall not on which was echoed on the other two.  When Vista finished booting it went Green cause nothing was wrong.  The XP SP3 machines have not yet changed to green after 30 minutes.  THIS IS NOT A BETA INSTALL, ALL THREE COPIES WERE DOWNLOADED FROM AN ONLINE PURCHASE ON THE SAME DAY AND SAME SITE.

The only useful piece of information was to contact support.  Ha Ha - like I have an hour to waste chatting with a techie who is convinced I am the problem. 

Is anyone else seeing this problem.  If enough of us are maybe it will be fixed next year. LOL.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:58 PM
  • Yes, others have reported this. One long thread on the topic is here: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2525334&SiteID=2

Are all three of your PCs configured to be OneCare hubs? Why? The problem would seem to be a false status communicated from the Vista machine to the XP machines and/or the OneCare servers to reflect that the firewall was off at boot, which it was. It would also mean that something is preventing the firewall service from starting early on in the boot process on the Vista machine, but OneCare is able to start it later, which is why it turns green. However, the new status is not then being sent to the servers and/or the other machines which are hubs.

As noted in the other thread, a reinstall might solve it.

-steve

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:30 PM