Running third party software on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• OK, newbee here so please go easy.

I am interested in building a WHS machine, but had a couple of questions concerning third party software.  I currently have a computer that is on 24/7 because it runs some automation software (CQC or Charmed Quark Controller specifiically) and I am also interested in running SAGE TV as a DVR.  I don't want to have two computers running 24/7 due to energy consumption.  So what I would like to do is build a rather up to date Core Duo machine and run CQC and Sage on the WHS OS.

What are people's thoughts on this?  Anyone currently running SAGE or similar software on their WHS machine.  I am more concerned about SAGE than I am CQC, because CQC is a very lightweight software that shouldn't require a lot of processing power.  But I could see SAGE taking up some power while recording HD shows. 

I plan on using HDHomeRun HD Tuners which are networked tuner cards, so I won't have any tuner cards installed on the WHS machine.  Instead, SAGE will simply record the HD stream from the network and save it to a HD.  I would access these saved files using some client machines.  So in essence both SAGE and CQC will act almost like server software (not accessing the software directly, but rather always through client machines)

Hopefully this all makes sense.  Any thoughts, comments or concerns???

Thanks,

Brian

Monday, October 29, 2007 6:50 PM

Answers

• Evening,

There should be no real problems with either of these. The one thing that, I think, would be beneficial, would be to have a separate disk, which is NOT added to the storage pool, to be the scratch drive for the recordings. That way, they are still accessible via WHS and the network, but the disk is not being used by DE or Duplication.

Colin

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:00 PM

All replies

• Evening,

There should be no real problems with either of these. The one thing that, I think, would be beneficial, would be to have a separate disk, which is NOT added to the storage pool, to be the scratch drive for the recordings. That way, they are still accessible via WHS and the network, but the disk is not being used by DE or Duplication.

Colin

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:00 PM
  • Hi

We always go easy on people :-)

In addition to what Colin said, it might also be beneficial to run a gigabit network if you are not already doing so.

Andrew

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:05 PM
  • Colin and Andrew,

Thanks for the quick response.  I went to the Sage site and found out that they have created a WHS version, so not only will it work on WHS, it will actually work within the console (have its own tab, etc). 

It does look like they record to a drive that isn't a part of WHS storage pool, so your advice Colin was spot on.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:54 PM