none
Product activation RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have Windows XP upgrade.  I aslo have retained my original Windows OEM disks.  Reciently I had to reactivate XP and had to use the telephone activation.  The code they gave me worked fine.  However now that Windows XP is bieng discontinued what happens if I need to re-activate Windows XP as I upgrade my computer.

Windows XP is working so well I don't want to go to Vista.  Sorry. Smile

I am just concerned for the future if Microsoft no longer activates Windows XP.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 11:37 AM

Answers

• Glad we could assist please post back should we be of further assistance :-).

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:48 PM

All replies

• As long as you have a genuine copy of Windows XP, you'll always be able to activate it in perpetuity.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 1:56 PM
  • How?

Saturday, July 12, 2008 10:28 PM
  • How?  The same way - activate via the interent or by phone.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Ok, Let's try this again.  When does XP become abandonware when this is no longer available?

Saturday, July 12, 2008 10:55 PM
  • What do you mean by "no longer available"?  If you have your genuine Windows XP CD and product key, it will always be available and the activation servers will always remain active.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 11:06 PM
  • What I mean is in 15 to 20 years.  I may switch over to Vista, but in the meantime XP, because of the need to activate, is really a licensed product which may be discontinued at Microsofts whim.  Once Microsoft ends activation and I need to reactivate my software is dead.  You may not think it is a big deal, but I do.  What did I buy, software or a temporary license? 

Saturday, July 12, 2008 11:12 PM
  • To my knowledge, Microsoft has no plans at all to prevent or discontinue or end activation of Windows XP.  They have already stated that extended support will be available until the year 2014.  I seriously doubt they will ever end activation even after 2014.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 11:44 PM
  • Ok, Thanks.  You have been very helpful.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 12:39 AM
  • Glad we could assist please post back should we be of further assistance :-).

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:48 PM