OneCare (a) conflicts with MacAfee and (b) demands a backup RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new Vista computer with MacAfee virus protection. Later, I bought Qwest DSL service, which automatically includes OneCare.

(1) At first, OneCare lived in peace with MacAfee, but now OneCare tells me to completely uninstall the MacAfee software or else terrible things will happen to the performance of my machine. That is, OneCare, the late comer to the party, is telling me to discard my investment in MacAfee or else!

a) How significant is this warning, since I haven't seen a performance degradation?

b) The product tells me to throw away my investment as well as a competitor's product? Is this the best user experience possible?

(2) One care also warns me to back up my system to an external store. I appreciate that wise advice, but I don't want to invest more money in an external storage device quite yet.

a) Is there a way to turn off this warning and only get periodic reminders on a schedule of my choosing?

b) Alternatively, did my OneCare subscription come with free web-based backup of which I am not aware?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:58 PM

Answers

•  Tim Allen wrote:

I bought a new Vista computer with MacAfee virus protection. Later, I bought Qwest DSL service, which automatically includes OneCare.

(1) At first, OneCare lived in peace with MacAfee, but now OneCare tells me to completely uninstall the MacAfee software or else terrible things will happen to the performance of my machine. That is, OneCare, the late comer to the party, is telling me to discard my investment in MacAfee or else!

a) How significant is this warning, since I haven't seen a performance degradation?

b) The product tells me to throw away my investment as well as a competitor's product? Is this the best user experience possible?

(2) One care also warns me to back up my system to an external store. I appreciate that wise advice, but I don't want to invest more money in an external storage device quite yet.

a) Is there a way to turn off this warning and only get periodic reminders on a schedule of my choosing?

b) Alternatively, did my OneCare subscription come with free web-based backup of which I am not aware?

You should never have two Anti-Virus products installed on your PC at the same time, this is a well known standard since the Anti-Virus API structure in Windows isn't designed to support more than one AV at a time. They will sometimes work, but at best will cause extra overhead and at worst can crash the operating system when they do finally conflict.

To tell OneCare that you don't wish to perform any backup, simply open the OneCare GUI, click Change Settings and select the Backup tab, click Configure Backup and uncheck Turn on backup on this PC. If you click the 'More about backup' link on this same screen all your other questions should be answered.

Which AV product you decide to use is up to you, but using two together will simply create more problems for you, so pick one and move on.

OneCareBear

Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:23 PM

All replies

•  

I agree with #1. Why on Earth would you think the Microsoft SW could protect Microsoft software. You need a 3rd party McAfee to protect you from Microsoft. It would be better to remove One Care than McAfee.

As far as #2: Always back up the files that you DO NOT want to lose. Hard drives will crash. Get an external dive for backup. You could always grab this in event of a fire to preserve your data.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:03 AM
  •  Tim Allen wrote:

I bought a new Vista computer with MacAfee virus protection. Later, I bought Qwest DSL service, which automatically includes OneCare.

You should never have two Anti-Virus products installed on your PC at the same time, this is a well known standard since the Anti-Virus API structure in Windows isn't designed to support more than one AV at a time. They will sometimes work, but at best will cause extra overhead and at worst can crash the operating system when they do finally conflict.

To tell OneCare that you don't wish to perform any backup, simply open the OneCare GUI, click Change Settings and select the Backup tab, click Configure Backup and uncheck Turn on backup on this PC. If you click the 'More about backup' link on this same screen all your other questions should be answered.

Which AV product you decide to use is up to you, but using two together will simply create more problems for you, so pick one and move on.

OneCareBear

Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:23 PM