Router Configuation RRS feed

• Question

• My router doesnt support UPNP. Is there a work around for this for remote access?

Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:22 AM

All replies

• Manual configuration of the router is your alternative. You will need to forward ports 80 (optional but recommended), 443, and 4125 to your server. Consult your router's user manual or a site such as portforward.com for information about the specifics for your router.

You should also consider setting your server's IP address and other networking parameters manually rather than relying on DHCP, if you haven't already done so (note: manual network configuration is not "supported", per se, but if you are reasonably careful is harmless). If your server uses DHCP,  it will request an IP address from the network DHCP server (usually your router) regularly, and that IP address may change. If this happens, port forwarding will be broken until you manually forward the ports to the new IP address.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:38 PM
  • For examples of step-by-step instructions on how to configure common routers that may not support UPnP, check out the Home Server Land router configuration wiki:

http://www.homeserverland.com/wiki/w/whs/broadband-router-configuration.aspx

Monday, November 2, 2009 3:19 AM