Do I have to have Outlook on the desktop? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm preparing a business case for OCS R2.

A lot of our users are 'mobile' within the building - logging onto & using PC's as they need them.  OC on the desktop & CX200 USB phones would be very useful.

Do I have to have full blown Outlook installed on every desk?  If we do not install it - will I get the dreaded Outlook intergration error?

We currently use outlook web access (Exchange 2007) for our mobile guys.  Does the OC R2 desk client intergrate with web OWA in any way?  Setting presence based on calender info would be very useful (as it does when you have full blown Outlook installed)...

regards

Paul

Friday, November 21, 2008 12:12 AM

All replies

• You certainly don't need Outlook deployed to desktops to use OC. And the 'dreaded' integration error is simply a little notification icon in the window that casual users wouldn't even really notice, so I wouldn't be concerned about it.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 2:24 PM
  •  

Unfortunetly for me - my users notice everything 

Is there some sort of registry change or XML file change to stop the notification?

Regards

Paul

Friday, November 21, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Here you can find the Group Policy information

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dd3cae08-3153-4c6a-a314-daa79d616248&displaylang=en

Not a specific setting

You might try to disable Free/Busy polling and Contact store to change to Windows address book

Friday, November 21, 2008 9:23 PM
  •  

Group policy will suit me fine if I can 'tweak' it to do what I want - thanks for the link.

Paul

Friday, November 21, 2008 9:33 PM