Shared Folders location RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to designate a location for a shared folder?

I want to move my photos to the shared folder called PHOTOS; I currently have about 30 gb of photos to copy over. I tried it once but it moved almost everything to my system drive before moving the rest to my USB attached storage. When the system drive gets under 5gb of free space you start getting Red error notices on all the machines. I my case it took the system drive down to 3.5 gb of free space. How can I get it to put that folder on the external USB drive where I have 120 gb of free space? Or limit the amount free space it leaves on the system drives? I am currently running version 6.0.1371.

Thank you.

Monday, May 7, 2007 3:07 AM

Answers

• I'm assuming when you say system drive you're referring to a single drive in your server?

Do you have duplication enabled? If you do then you will have a copy of the files on each drive to guard against failure.

If you don't have duplication enabled, I would imagine/hope that WHS is smart enough to put the files on the larger drive. If you look at that status bar in the WHS console it will tell you whether it is currently "balancing" the data or not. It may take some time till WHS moves the files to their final position.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 3:21 AM

All replies

• When you made your shared folder called PHOTOS did you use WHS console, because thats where you need to make the shared folder.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 3:20 AM
  • I'm assuming when you say system drive you're referring to a single drive in your server?

Do you have duplication enabled? If you do then you will have a copy of the files on each drive to guard against failure.

If you don't have duplication enabled, I would imagine/hope that WHS is smart enough to put the files on the larger drive. If you look at that status bar in the WHS console it will tell you whether it is currently "balancing" the data or not. It may take some time till WHS moves the files to their final position.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 3:21 AM
  • The shared folder I am referring to is one of the group of shared folders that is created when you install WHS on your server.

David

Monday, May 7, 2007 1:00 PM